3.23.2006

A Belated FO and the Start of Something New

Look what we have here! A finished sweater! I've been meaning to blog about this one, but I just haven't had a chance.

Yarn: Hipknits silk in "barbie pink" (not really, it was custom)
Pattern: Angelica Tunic
Needles: Addi Turbos 5mm, 24" and 4mm, 24" circs
Date Started: 2.18.06
Date Stated to Ignore: 2.27.06 (a new stat I'm starting)
Date Finished: 3.18.06

Soooo this would have been a fast knit really. The last time I even mentioned it all I needed were the sleeves and maybe to redo the bindoff. Easy enough right? Except for some reason I just couldn't get myself to do it. Actually, that's a lie, I know exactly why I didn't touch it. I wanted to knit the sleeves in the round, BUT I didn't have circs long enough to do it. I never made it to the yarn store to get some AND I didn't have any dpn's in the right size either. So there Angelica sat, next to my bed every night mocking and taunting me. Finally she reminded me that I had a wedding shower to go to and nothing to wear. I really didn't feel like shopping, so I had to knit. The wedding shower was on the 18th, I decided on this brilliant idea on the 15th at ohhh 11 at night.

That night I ripped the bindoff and kept going till just before the hip increases. The next day (the 16th) I started knitting the body again and added a few more increases and also about an inch (maybe 1.5") in length. I was finally ready to meet my nemesis, the sleeves. What did I do? I went and finished the neck trim. I picked up all the stitches that night and finished the knitting on the 17th, when all was left to do were the sleeves. I still didn't have any new needles, so I forced myself to use what I already had. I found some 29" Clovers in the right size. OH. MY. GOD! I hate those damn needles. The join makes it impossible to knit in magic loop with ease. I spent most of my time trying to push the stitches up from the cord onto the actual needles. I never want to see those needles again (if you want them, then let me know). Once I decreased enough stitches I switched to my beloved addis and flew through the rest of the sleeve. By dinner time I was done and ready to start on the second sleeve. I ended up going out to dinner, then watching a movie, and maybe knitting a little just before I went to sleep. Not good! I woke up on Saturday morning extra early to get the sleeve done. I still had to weave in all the ends and seam that little bit in the underarm. The wedding shower was at 5 and we still had to get ready and drive an hour and a half to get there. With three shots of espresso in me I worked on the sleeves till a little past noon. I still had the purl ridges to go! We left the house at 1:30 and in the car I finished the sleeve and just started weaving in ends like crazy. At around 3, we got to our family's house and I seamed the underarms and finished weaving anything in. I forgot something important though, the button. At that point I didn't care, it didn't even faze me. I just looked through my boyfriend's house for a pin and used the best one I could find. Needless to say, there's been no blocking of any sort on this sweater.

After all that, what do I think? I think this was a great knit, an easy piece with some really pretty details. I didn't stray from the pattern at all other than adding some length to the body. I love the fit, I went for zero ease totally ignoring this conversation. The hipknits silk is super soft and easy to knit with. It did fuzz on my skirt a little, but I love the drape and feel of it so I forgive it. This was my first time knitting with a 100% silk and I definitely see myself doing it again. I think I will knit this sweater again, but next time in some cotton (totally ripping Illanna off) and without the neck detail. I hate to admit it, but I really liked the way the sweater looked with a more opened neckline (like Katie's). I really don't mind if it draws more attention to my chest (like I can somehow draw attention away from it, hah!), does that make me a slut or something?

Moving on....

Inspired by Leah, I decided to go around my kitchen and find some pinks and red for you. Of course, I had to throw some yarn in the mix. Can't fault me for that!

march mosaic

I'm sure there's more around here, but I tried to keep it to one room. What you really care about is that yarn, isn't it? I forgot to mention that in my selfless act of ordering some yarn for my sockpal, well, I also helped myself to some luscious colors with no patterns in mind.


Sundara sock yarn in Cherry Blossoms

Sundara sock yarn in cirque

And what became of that gorgeous yarn I showed you the other day?

I think I've frogged this sock maybe three or more times. The first time I had the wrong number of stitches and the rest were just because I couldn't decide on a pattern. I really want my pal to be happy with his socks, but at the same time I want to make sure I finish these in time. I finally decided on a simple mock cable stitch, basically a k3 p2 rib but with a little decreasin-increasin action thrown in. I'm already six inches into the foot, but I'm still having second thoughts. What do you think of this pattern?

33 Comments:

Blogger paula said...

pretty pretty! :)

heh- my mom always buys fat bastard! yummy!

23/3/06 9:13 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I love your mosaic!! Those salad forks are so cool!

The socks are looking great! I like the mock rib. I really can't wait to see the color all knit up.

Oh & in case you didn't see my KAL post, I love your Angelica!! It looks fab & was well worth the wait!

23/3/06 9:52 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Angelica is gorgeous!! The fit looks perfect and the color is just so beautiful! Fantastic job! And how beautiful is that Cherry Blossom yarn? That colorway is so striking- can't wait to see it knit up. Your Project Spectrum collage is great- you always take such wonderful pictures. Take care! :-)

23/3/06 10:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

You shameless hussy, with the open neck.

Angelica looks beyootiful! You did a wonderful job as always.

23/3/06 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, that is some nice yarn. heh heh heh.

Angelica is very pretty and congratulations on getting it down with all that pressure. You are crazy.

I really like that sock pattern. I say stick with it.

23/3/06 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i adore your angelica. it has such a rustic, medieval (i can never spell that) look to it - to be honest i haven't been that enamored with this pattern as i've seen it in other places but yours has a really nice shape that doesn't let the neckline overwhelm it. brava!

ps - should i take it as a bad omen that your blogger random letter verification thing wants me to spell "obits"?

23/3/06 10:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Your Angelica looks great! I was about an inch from the screen by the time you got it finished - the suspense!

Some very yummy Sundara you picked up. Mmmm... Keep going on your sockpal's sock, because it's fabulous. Really truly - I think it's the right balance of pattern for that yarn.

23/3/06 10:35 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

What an exciting finish! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. It is a really lovely jumper!

23/3/06 11:29 PM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Very nice!I like the sock pattern a lot. It's a keeper.

I was eyeing the Cherry Blossom sock yarn on Sold Out Section. So, you are the one who snatched it up!

23/3/06 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

firstly, what a beautiful sweater. i just love the collar, and the colour.
i definately love the sock pattern and it looks really nice in that yarn.
wow, when i saw that cheery blossom yarn i thought i was in heaven- can't wait to see what it will become, it's goegeous...x

24/3/06 12:21 AM  
Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

I love your coffee grinder!

24/3/06 12:31 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

the knit-a-long has come full circle! it looks great, definitely worth the wait for that yarn. and your story about finishing is priceless -- i think many knitters are slightly mentally ill when you get down to it. knitting in the car? on the way to the shower? i hope you had a back up shirt!

24/3/06 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am too exhausted from that finishing story to leave a comment! just give me a second to recover here ...

...

whew! ok, it's beautiful! go you! and stick with the sock, it's great.

24/3/06 5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mock cable stitch is cool. Congrats on finishing the sweater, it's beautiful.

24/3/06 6:59 AM  
Blogger xmasberry said...

I really like the image collection.

The socks look a lot like the pattern i abandoned with my Nature's Pallette sock yarn. I was going for a full-length sock though and rather snug and found i didn't like the spaces between the cables when the sock was on. Depending on how many stitches you have between the cables and how much the sock is supposed to stretch, that might not be a problem for you. Obviously, i liked the general idea of the pattern myself, it was just the specifics on the sock i was knitting that made it unsatisfactory in my case. I really love the color and texture.

24/3/06 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous sweater, it looks great on you! I also like the photo montage.

24/3/06 9:58 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely Angelica! The color is so rich, and I like how you left the neckline open.

I like the pattern you chose for your sockpal. It looks great with that color.

24/3/06 10:30 AM  
Blogger elizabeth marley said...

I kinda dig the pattern of the sock. It looks a little like a knit and purl pattern magnefied.

24/3/06 10:33 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

sounds like a photo finish on that angelica!! man, you must have been knitting up a storm! :) it looks lovely.

24/3/06 10:57 AM  
Blogger j a r e d said...

i like the mock cable pattern, i think its well suited for the color and the material. i say go for it!

24/3/06 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man, that sweater story was frantic! Knit, knit, knit, finish, finish, finish... it had me on the edge of my seat! I like the start of the manly socks... what's your issue with them?

24/3/06 12:24 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

tunic looks GREAT - nice job! you may have inspired me to do the pattern as well. :-)

24/3/06 2:15 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

What a beautiful sweater! I haven't loved the pattern when I've seen it but I do like yours! The color is great and the sweater has more interest than just the funky neckline. Great knitting!

24/3/06 2:19 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Your Angelica is very nice - I love that color. I also think the mock cable on those socks is awesome - I would love to have someone make me a pair of those! Lucky pal!!

24/3/06 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GAH! I love it, I love it even more hearing your rushed story, that makes it even more amazing. I like you. :D

25/3/06 10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Angelica is gorgeous. I LOVE that color. The story was a crack up. Gotta love those knitting stories!

26/3/06 12:04 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I guess I was right, and I hadn't seen it on Flickr before! Great job! And so you're why all the Sundara sock yarn is gone from her site ;)

26/3/06 1:41 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

I love the socks! The first thing I thought when I saw them was that this girl must be crazy to do all those little cables. I think the rib pattern is great - I hope you will show the finished product...

26/3/06 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbie Pink... huh... i usually think of bubblegum pink for barbie, maybe because of those vinyl thigh high boots my barbie had (shhh, yes i had a barbie), and she had slutty outfits... it was the 70s.

LOVE the sweater shape, and colour and everything, and love the socks too.

27/3/06 9:06 PM  
Blogger PutYourFlareOn said...

I *heart* your Angelica, it looks soooo GOOOOOOOOOD on you!

29/3/06 4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Love the sweater AND your fly kitchen goodies... And you're totally inspiring me with all your kickass socky goodness.

29/3/06 3:00 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

Where, where, where did you get that plate in the upper right corner? It's the most beautiful plate I've ever seen!

30/3/06 11:37 AM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

your angelina looks fantastic! great fit and the detail is really exquisite. beautiful job.

3/4/06 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home