3.03.2006

child's french sock

Pattern: Child's French Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks
Yarn: Tess Designer Yarn Super Socks
Needles: Addi Turbos 2.5mm
Date Started: 2.13.06
Date Finished: 3.2.06

If it wasn't for that
amazing silk that came in the mail (and my wrist acting up), I think I could have finished this pair of socks in two or three days. But nope, I fell for the new yarn while the second sock was ignored. Sorry! The weird thing? The second sock came out a lot better, ie. it doesn't have the loose ankle problem.

This was a pretty fun pattern that you can easily memorize. This was my first Nancy Bush pattern and now I know what all the fuss is about. I followed the pattern faithfully, I didn't find anything I needed to change. Why would I? It was well thought out and easy to follow.

Another first for me was knitting with Tess Designer Yarn or even a superwash yarn. I picked this skein up when I went to Stitches East last year and the poor yarn has been waiting for me to do something with it for five months. That's just not right. I'm glad I waited though, this yarn was perfect for this pattern. I love it's stitch definition (so yummy with all this texture) and the subtle color variegation. I think this last picture is the one truest in color, a little bit of strawberry with some grape thrown in. Oh, a good reason for using this yarn comes to mind....I used almost all 450 yards in the hank for this pair of socks while the pattern requires about 400.

Project Spectrum:

For all of you that are sick of me knitting in reds or pinks, umm you can come back in April. Through no coercing of mine, Lolly made March 'red and pink' month. How lucky is that? This is just a partial selection from my stash* (if I had more than one skein of a certain yarn I only showed one) I get to choose from this month. It's almost overwhelming, almost. I think I know what I'm going to work on this month, but I first want to finish Angelica and then maybe just let the red and pink yarns duke it out for my attention.

*to see what each yarn is, you can follow this link.

23 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

Gorgeous socks, Yahaira! And those red and pink yarns are lovely!

3/3/06 5:51 PM  
Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

Very cute socks! Thanks for the extra link with the yarn data. I was just about to ask you about one skein when I noticed it. I love pink/brown combinations.

3/3/06 6:14 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What lovely socks!

I thought of you when I realized that March was pink and red month. You are in your element!

3/3/06 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang girl. I feel like every time I read your blog, you have an FO to show off. I'm so jealous. And I love the pile of pink-y yarns... especially the pink, white, and black variegated...

3/3/06 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too cute! seriously those are some perty socks. i might just have to cast on for those socks in the near future. after i've finished knitting up my gazillionth jaywalker. . .

3/3/06 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your pink n red stash rivals my own. I'm loving that Interlacements yarn! So pretty. Your socks are so nice!

3/3/06 11:26 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow - those socks are gorgeous! And your yarn picture is darn fine, too. Have you seen Strange Little Mama's red and pink Project Spectrum button for March?

3/3/06 11:47 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

That yarn is so pretty! :)

4/3/06 12:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your new socks are gorgeous, and I want to steal your yarn stash! I love so many of your yarns.

4/3/06 12:45 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Such gorgeous socks! If only I could finish mine so I could start some more!

4/3/06 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks, and great red and pink selections. Very diverse stash--good job!

4/3/06 8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely socks! You even made them the same color as they are in the book!

4/3/06 9:23 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

you just HAD to post those lovely socks right after i post my remedial, beginner pair. oh, for shame!

those pinks and roses are so deeelicious.

4/3/06 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaw, love the socks.

I think you should avoid the stash yarn and knit the Cherry Blossom sock yarn I'm sending you.

4/3/06 3:20 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

You're socks, zey are so pretty and francais, no? (in a french accent, please)

4/3/06 4:15 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

I love those socks! They're so pretty! I'm jealous of all your red and pink yarns. I wish I had more yarn at in my stash at home because I don't have a lot of money to go out and buy yarn. I know that yarn in the stash had to be purchased sometime but there's something nice about using what you already have. :) It's easier to justify to the husband, too.

4/3/06 4:27 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your socks are gorgeous!! I love the stitch definition and the color you used is just beautiful. Your pink and red stash is beautiful!! Can't wait to see what they become when they grow up. ;-) Looking forward to your Project Spectrum March projects! Take care and have a great weekend! :-)

4/3/06 4:44 PM  
Blogger kris said...

the! cutest! socks! ever!

4/3/06 6:33 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Love your new socks! They are super cute... the little cable down the front in particular. And oh my, I love the photo of your red and pink yarns - it's like candy. I thought of you when I noticed March was red and pink month - perfect for you. :)

5/3/06 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely socks and yarn. Got to check out the yarn details in your link

5/3/06 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are really awesome...I had to figure out what some of those yarns where, I am in love with pinks mixed with browns!

6/3/06 10:39 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Awesome socks! I have sock envy. I am going to learn to knit socks very soon.

Do you like that book, Knitting Vintage Socks? Would you recommmend it?

6/3/06 12:07 PM  
Blogger emy said...

Lovely socks! Now I am wishing I could go knit some pink/red socks for myself soon!

9/3/06 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home