3.13.2006

le zoom deux

Yarn: Socks That Rock, Ruby Slipper (one ounce left over)
Pattern:
Badcaul
Needles: 2.5mm Addis
Date Started: 3.04.06
Date Finished: 3.11.06

On Friday I finally picked up this project again and started knitting the second sock, by the time I went to sleep I had turned the heel and by Saturday afternoon I had bound off.
Anna, what weird voodoo did you put in this pattern? You would think I knit these socks using a sport or dk yarn, each sock only took me two to three days, if that. The combination of knitting an easy six row repeat, toe up, magic loop style created the speed to thwart any notion of second-sock-syndrome. That only wouldn't make a great sock pattern, but the perfect fit and the impressive results do. Can you tell I love these socks?

My creation

I still don't buy all the hype surrounding this yarn. It's isn't very soft, which makes it a great wearing sock yarn (yay!), but murder on my hands (boo!). Am I willing to sacrifice super softness for some cool colors? I'm not so sure yet. The colors are pretty cool, if you go on the site Ruby Slippers looks like it's just red and purple, but when you knit with it you find all these different shades of reds, pinks, oranges, and purples. I do have one more skein of STR (in gypsum) in the stash to help me decide later. The yarn isn't rough at all on my feet, unfortunately I don't knit with my feet so there you go. The heat today did make me realize that sock knitting season may be done for me unless I find the cotton version of STR (sock candy), does anyone know where I can find that without having to form a fellowship to go on some sort of quest?

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're gorgeous! I want to make that pattern too. Glad to hear the endorsement.

13/3/06 5:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'll join that fellowship. Sounds like a worthy quest for sock candy.

Your socks are beautiful!

13/3/06 6:58 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Your socks are soooooo pretty!!! Love the colors.

13/3/06 7:03 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Those are SO stunning! Yay you!!

Summer sock knitting - I like Fortissima Cotton (75 cotton, 25 nylon, I think) for garments, but I don't know how it would be for socks... probably has all the usual cotton annoyances.

13/3/06 7:36 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Wow! They looks so awesome!! I told you they knit up fast but I think yours knit up faster than mine!!

13/3/06 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I'm happy you say what you say. Because STR is the current darling, and people got upset when I said something negative - specifically, agreeing with you, it is hard on the hands (although there are MANY wonderful things about it, too).

The socks are beautiful, what a great pattern!!!

13/3/06 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your socks look amazing!!! The colors are great! I wish I could finish my socks, I'm so slow!!! I can live through you however...

13/3/06 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Yahaira! Those colors rock!

13/3/06 9:56 PM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

Glad to hear that your feet are happier than your hands with these gorgeous things!
I still wanna try this yarn. Maybe I can learn to knit with my feet.; )

14/3/06 12:13 AM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

So. Pretty. Love these socks!!

14/3/06 1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on another pair of kewl sox, the colour, as you might imagine, is right up my street, the little cables look oh so sweet!!

Fantastic job xxx

14/3/06 4:17 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

The socks are super cute, but pooh on the scratchy yarn. You deserve better!

14/3/06 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what, you don't knit with your feet? and you call yourself a knitter? i am so disappointed in you. really.

still, the socks are absolutely perfect! the best colours as well.

14/3/06 10:21 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

such cute cables!! i really love how those turned out.

let me know how your socks take actual wear and tear. my STR jaywalkers are showing major signs of distress already. hmmph.

14/3/06 10:37 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh, i love them. such wonderful colors and petite cables!

14/3/06 10:48 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Well, they look great even though you had to sacrifice your hands. I should be getting my STR yarn from the Sock Club this month, so I will wait to pass judgement.

14/3/06 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about what you said about the STR yarn. I have only knit with it once but my complaint is it gets fuzzier with ever wash. While Koigu, never seems to do that.

But the latest skein of Koigu I have been knitting with has really hurt my hands, so maybe it varies?

Either way I think I am leaning toward yarns that don't pool in a circularly.

14/3/06 12:42 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I think you're right joelene, the pooling did get a bit on my nerves after a while....Ill report back once I wash this pair.

14/3/06 12:51 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your socks are gorgeous!! Beautiful colorway- I love the way the pattern works with the colors. They seem like a perfect fit, too- fantastic job! Take care! :-)

14/3/06 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your finished socks look great. it's a shame that the yarn wasn't so easy to knit with as the colour is sooo groovy (you can't go wrong with pink! :0)

14/3/06 9:30 PM  
Blogger B's Momma said...

Those are beau-ti-ful. I almost want to lick them for some reason....ummm.

15/3/06 10:23 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

A gorgeous finished pair! Let us know how they wear. As a new sock knitter, I'm concerned about durability. As much as I love the spring, I'm sad it means the end of hand knitted wool sock season.

15/3/06 5:20 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Beautiful socks! And perfect for Project Spectrum, too. Lovely job. Don't worry, it's too hot for sock knitting here, too.

16/3/06 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My LYS has all the BMFA brands, including the Sock Candy and non-sock yarns. If you want me to get you some we could strike a bargain of sorts. If you're interested leave me a message on my blog or email my (renata.stauder@gmail.com).

16/3/06 3:09 PM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

I always seem to get hungry when I look at your projects, you pick such yummy berry colors. It's interesting how new yarn can feel; first time I knit with Koigu after Nature's Palette it felt like string. Now I love it. Maybe the STR will feel better in time.

16/3/06 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home