2.13.2006

Socks-a-go-go

I've caught a bug and his name is sock.... what? I don't know either, all I know is that instead of casting on or planning a sweater I wanted to knit I grabbed some yarn from the stash and started some socks. No, not socks for the sockpal I have yet to mention, but rather for my selfish little self.

I've been wanting to use this yarn, Tess Designer yarn, and this pattern, Child's French Socks, for a while now though I didn't think the two would merge. Lucky for me, in my snow induced haze I got perfect gauge with the required needles. Not so great for my sock pal.

Why have I ignored my poor little sockpal? I should be looking for yarn, reading patterns, swatching even! I've been in denial, that's why. Ever since that little email proclaiming who I was assigned to arrived in my mailbox I've been in a size-induced shock. People, I have to knit for an 11 inch foot. Eleven!! I'll wait till that sinks in......ready for more? Cables....CABLES. This person requested cables. I don't like letting people down, so cables or some form thereof they will get. I'll start swatching as soon as I finish this sock, of course the mail man had other ideas by bringing me a long awaited package. I promise nothing sockpal (not this week at least).

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i've been totally neglecting my sockopalooza (oh, however you spell it :P) too. i think the deadline is too far away. I know I'm going to wait and wait and then realize that OH CRAP! My pal's socks have to sent in like three hours!!! (looks around for that fifth US 1 dpn) Eekk!!!!

Anyhoo, that is come nice progress you made on that french kiddie sock. i LOVE nancy bush. and that hip knits silk is gorgeous. i'm jealous. i can't ever seem to be able to nab any for myself. boo.

13/2/06 11:00 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

Yay! Now you can knit angelica with me...after you twisted MY arm to join...Well, you had some extenuating circumstances. Now get knitting, fool!

13/2/06 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous socks and fabulous color!

13/2/06 11:21 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

They look wonderful so far! Love the color. =)

13/2/06 11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh... you poor thing. That's like 7 skeins of yarn. Denial is in order for now :).

14/2/06 12:23 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow! That Tess yarn is gorgeous! You've got plenty of time to work on your sock pals socks.

14/2/06 10:09 AM  
Blogger illanna said...

My sock pal has 10 inch feet, and I already finished one sock. Don't be scared- if I can do it you can do it. Although, cables and long feet = a lot of yarn!

14/2/06 11:01 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I love love love the color of your HK silk! I am so glad that you got it!! Now put down that lovely sock & start on Angelica!! Your sock pal will understand!

14/2/06 11:07 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Very cute sock!

14/2/06 11:14 AM  
Blogger laura said...

For your sockpal, when you described what she wanted.. this immediately came to mind:
The Traveler Socks, seen at craftster, here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=75804.0

and the pattern here: http://d-made.com/knitting/patterns/traveler_sock.pdf

It's a toe up, with cables, and a short cuff, so that would help make up for the foot size being a little larger. Now, you have no reason to be in denial any longer... except of course that pile of fabulous yarn you just received.

14/2/06 11:19 AM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

eleven inches of cable?!! yikes! that must be at least two bottles of syrah!

14/2/06 11:48 AM  
Blogger yaiAnn said...

You couldn't have picked a better color for your angelica sweater. It's going to look faaaaab on you! =)

14/2/06 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I forced you to sign up for this sockapalooza. if you end up getting something not so great after knitting cabled socks for the big ass feet, I'll knit you a pair of awesome socks.

14/2/06 7:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey! I have a 10.5" foot. You get used to it. :)

14/2/06 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a 10.5 inch foot and I'm a lady! I felt bad for my last sock-pal...and since didn't sign up again.
i'm sure you'll pal will love the socks!

15/2/06 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home