5.14.2005

Harry Potter Granny Bag

thumbs up

Yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky in Sunburst and umm maroon?
Needles: US 10.5
Pattern: My own, but I guess there's one like it in Hollywood Knits sigh
Date Started: 5.11.2005
Date Finished: 5.13.2005 (dowels on 5.14.2005)


So here it is, finally! I obviously decided not to felt it, I guess it will just have to be a little floppy. It was an easy enough pattern, but I don't know what I can say since there is apparently a pattern just like it in a book. That's probably where I subconciously got the idea for it. I knew I had this yarn and I needed something to do with it and all I could come up with was this.

Let's see, I can still give thoughts on the pattern....it's easy enough. Just cast on as many stitches you want and knit in stockinette. Then do the gusset and tada you have a bag. I got a 1/2 inch dowel at A.C. Moore and got my bf to cut it for me. He also helped me tie them in so that they wouldn't slip out (I couldn't stitch them tight enough). I used a backstitch to seam the whole thing together. It's a nice tough, bulky stitch, perfect for this. oh! if you do attempt the pattern in the book, don't listen to her!! Ms. Hollywood tells you to knit about 160 rows for the gusset, but I was at around 120-122 rows and trust me that was more than enough. I had to play around with the seaming to shorten it a bit.

There are so many things I hate about this yarn; for some reason the skeins I had were thick and thin, I hate the rough feeling of the yarn, and it's just itchy. I ran out of the red skein, but I still have half of the gold so if anyone feels like trying it give me a holler and I'll send it to you!

Overall, I'm happy. I got a bag I can use for knitting or for when the next HP book and movie come out! (Does this count as a movie knit?)

Here are some more pics for your viewing pleasure:

opened

IMG_0923

4 Comments:

Blogger Atouria said...

Yahaira, Your bag looks great! Yes, it does count as a movie knit! I bet if you used cotton for it, it would eliminate some of the stretchy/floppyness of the wool. (Yes, I'm anti-wool, but the cotton comment still stands. ;)) I love the colors and design. You should be proud regardless of the Suss cousins. Your bag is betta!

15/5/05 9:03 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

aww thanks :)

I was thinking of knitting it again in cotton (Ive been looking into organic or natural yarn)

15/5/05 9:07 AM  
Blogger Atouria said...

I'm glad you didn't take offense. I realized I should have made a non-offensive disclaimer AFTER I hit the publish button. I know you've heard of the pakucho organic cotton from cotton industries. I haven't had a chance to knit with it yet, but my LYS carries it and I can't wait to use some! Even the colors are orgainc ~ no dyes!

Right now I'm knitting the cabled vest from vogue (not cable8) with bamboo yarn and the drape and sheen is lovely! It'd definitely be too floppy for a purse though. It's a great lightweight, breathable fiber for summer!

15/5/05 10:38 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

omg! why would I take offense!? no way....

I still haven't tried bamboo, that's another yarn I would love to get my hands on! I figure I eat and cook organic (for the most part) so why don't I knit organically? ohh maybe Ill try the bamboo for the cable 8 (isnt it weird that those two patterns are so similar? I was so confused)

15/5/05 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home