1.26.2006

The Chronicles of the Bulky Cabled Cardigan

The Chronicles of the Bulky Cabled Cardigan

When we last left off, I was begging all of you for advice, but really I was tricking you into making a decision for me. My plan worked and many of you offered up your advice, thanks! The majority voted for longer ribbing, some warned not to add ribbing to the body without thinking of the sleeves, someone said that I needed to add length to the body, someone mentioned cropped cardigans being in style and some people told me I already knew what I wanted to do. I agree with all the above, well except for that already knowing what I want part but I won't digress into semantics.

I deliberated and finally forced myself to make a decision. I thought of ripping back to the body, but when looking at the yarn again I doubted it could handle it. I haven't even worn this sweater, let alone finished it, and it's already pilling. I love the yarn (hpy bulky merino), but I doubt I will use it again for a sweater since it felts when I look at it funny. Basically all my beautiful knitting and cables, the cables!, look out of focus. Great. Want proof?

more pilling

This basically decided it for me, but I really did think about adding the length to the body. I wasn't sure if the proportions were right for longer ribbing, but if you look at the top picture you'll see I found a similar sweater with the ribbing you all love. Ok so it works, it helps that this sweater doesn't have any waist shaping to worry about and that it's knit from the top so I can do this sort of thing. I guess I could have left the length alone, but I kept hearing 'fat man in a little coat' in my head. Just because it's short it doesn't mean it's right, it needs to hit at the right spot.

So why am I going on about this? I guess to say that I do think a lot about this stuff, maybe too much, and that I'm very particular about what I like and don't like hence the indecision. The three inches of ribbing was quick enough to add, so I went ahead and knit the button bands. Hell, some could say I'm done, but of course I'm not. I still need to decide what to do with the sleeves; to aggressively block or knit some length into them (and how)? Then we get to do some serious blocking, some possible shaving (target here I come), and then pick some buttons.

more decisions to be made

We are almost there my friends, almost there.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the tommy boy reference! I like the middle button. Was I supposed to pick? Still haven't watched 24, btw..

27/1/06 1:37 AM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

love that blue sweater with the high ribbing.. where is it from, if I may ask ?

27/1/06 5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that yarn! I vote also for the middle button.

27/1/06 7:27 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I'm sorry it's so pilly! But the colors are wonderful! Those buttons are really great too! I think any of them would look amazing on it!

Now just finish already so we can see pictures! ;)

27/1/06 8:04 AM  
Blogger kathyruth said...

Love the yarn, the colors are great. Can't wait to see your finished sweater.

27/1/06 8:11 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Woo hoo! It's looking good. You are almost there.

27/1/06 8:22 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That is such gorgeous yarn... Glad you figured it out! I like the middle button, too.

27/1/06 9:10 AM  
Blogger elizabeth marley said...

Whoa awesome buttons! I'm excited to see the fnished result.

27/1/06 9:44 AM  
Blogger laura said...

I bought this pattern, but it seems like everyone that has done it dislikes for some reason or another. It makes me hesitant to knit this for myself.

The blue sweater is really nice, I like the open-work cable stitch pattern on it.

I like the pinkish buttons best. :)

27/1/06 9:52 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

As I'm at almost the same place on my cardigan(not the bulky cable, but a cardigan all the same) I totally feel your pain. I'm measuring mine every other row (because every row would be craaazy) and worrying obsessively about ribbing, button bands, buttons, etc. By way of encouragement, if you check out the new Vogue Knitting you will see that extra deep ribbing is so "IN".

27/1/06 10:18 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love the button choices! I like the one in the middle best.

27/1/06 10:23 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh, indecision. as much a part of knitting as needles. the blue cardigan convinced me that long ribbing will work. beautiful buttons!

27/1/06 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I don't think the ribbing on the sleeves needs to be as long as the ribbing on the body of the sweater. I think it will look just fine. So there.

Love the buttons.

27/1/06 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, love the buttons, and second, where did the blue big buttoned lovely thing come from, and third, still love the yarn, pills and all.

27/1/06 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY! Where's your Picovoli??? Teasing ;-)

Love the colors of your sweater... sorry to hear about the pilling. Can't wait to see the finished product!

27/1/06 7:15 PM  
Blogger loopylulu said...

Those buttons are beautiful. Did you get them online?

27/1/06 11:20 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Those buttons are gorgeous! I can't wait to see how it came out!

28/1/06 4:54 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Nice buttons! I hear ya tho about the HPY bulky. I used it for Hot Lava, and while it is scrumpuously soft, it does pill like a mother. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

29/1/06 5:13 PM  
Blogger My Five Sons said...

Hi Just a querry, I can't seem to down load the elfin sock pattern, my computor is blocking it,darn thing! Is there another way to "get"the pattern,it's so beautiful and that colour is to die for( the green ),Be very grateful if you could help! cheers Cathy

30/1/06 5:10 AM  
Blogger Fiber said...

I must know too.
Where is the blue sweater from?
I adore it!

4/2/06 6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw your sweater on Glampyre's site. It turned out great!! I had fun looking over a few of your past projects too. The bulky blue cardigan next to the green glampyr sweater on this post caught my eye. Do you know if there is a pattern for that or if it is something you buy? I just LOVE it!

7/2/06 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely know what you mean when you say you know what you like and don't like, hence the indecision. Seems like a complete contradiction, but _so_ is not!

I really like how your knit turned out -- love the texture!

Also, where IS that blue sweater at the top of the page from? And why are so many of us commenters so drawn to it?

Finally, what do you mean by 'fat man in a little coat'?

Thanx,
jane

8/2/06 1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home