1.18.2006

Indecision

I've always been indecisive, I never know what I want to eat or even if I want to eat. Ask me what I want to do if we go out and all you'll get is a blank stare. Some may confuse this with apathy and sure, maybe it has a tinge of it, but really I'm just terrible when it comes to deciding things. It's so bad that I coulnd't even decide what to title this post, see the witty winner I chose. Anyway, when it comes to knitting, where every step of the way is full of decisions, I usually half ass my way through it and see what happens. My latest question: how many unflattering pics can I take of myself? That was easy, four. But that's not what I really want to know. I finished the sleeves and basically like where they are (I know they will grow when I wash it), but now that I can actually wear the cardigan I notice that the length is all wrong. It's not the fault of the pattern, nope I was just an idiot and measured while I pulled on it... when it was still on the needles. Yep, smart move. I know I need to add at least two inches on this sucker (that's how much extra I thought I had), but the question is where? Do I rip all the ribbing and continue with the body for two inches and then add the waist band? Or do I just tink back three rows to the end of the ribbing and make the waistband extra deep? I think I know what the answer is, but, uhh, I rather hear it from someone else.

I'm so close to finishing, I can taste it. After the length situation, all I have left are the button bands. I just needed to let this sit while I figured out (ie. beg you for advice) what to do next. Well actually there was another reason, a very annoying reason. I couldn't even tell how short it really was till I took these pics. Want to why? No mirrors*! There are no full-length mirrors in my house. I assure you this wasn't my design. In the meantime I picked up my hourglass again and finally casted on for the body.

I was craving some boring stst in the round, especially now that my man Jack is back. I can't afford to look away or not pay attention for a second, so this will be my '24' project. I still havent' finished watching this week's episodes (we decided to split the four hours and just watch one a night, so no spoilers!) so this sweater still has two more hours of growth ahead of it.

To save me some time and aggravation, I decided to cast on using two needles. I'm using the cable of the longer one as a foundation, when I finish the length of the hem I can just fold it and knit the stitches together. No sewing and no provisonal cast on. Genius.

*apparently the boy was traumatized with too many horror movies at a young age, so no mirrors for us except for the bathroom mirror. apparently he thinks one day he'll look and see another face staring back at him. I don't think he understands the whole 'growing old' concept if you ask me.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could look really neat with longer ribbing. Have you seen this variation on Forecast, with the long ribbing?

18/1/06 5:44 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Aw! Sorry that it's too short. I really love it otherwise! That color is stunning!!

As far as advice It think it would look amazing with longer ribbing. It seems that it would suit the pattern well.

I can't wait to hear what you decide!

18/1/06 5:57 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Ahhhh. I sometimes share your boyfriend's fear of mirrors. It really creeps me out to walk by mine when I get up in the night. It's especially spooky when you are in a historic building and there are very old mirrors.

Anyway, to the issue at hand. I am a big fan of long sections of ribbing (that's what I'm planning to do with my next sweater). I think it would look really cute. Maybe you could mock it up in Photoshop to see what you think.

I'm very intrigued by what you are doing with the hourglass.

18/1/06 6:11 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

I don’t have any advice, but I think it looks awesome on you!!! Wow, that was fast!! As for the no-full-length-mirror thing – I don’t have one in my house either. And it can be a pain! I’ve been meaning to buy one but I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder. =)

18/1/06 6:12 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I vote for longer ribbing as well. I know it's a bit boring, but I also think it's really flattering. And it looks soooo good on you already, why not go for it!?!?

18/1/06 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, just go buy a full-length mirrow and put in a room. He'll get over it or can avoid it. Nobody should not have a full length mirrow.

I vote for longer ribbing.

And that pink is just the perfect color for you. So perfect.

18/1/06 6:27 PM  
Blogger winnie said...

longer ribbing.

and i second purly's suggestion. do what i do. go to target.. or kmart or wherever.. line up all their full-length mirrors, and pick out the one that makes you look slimmest. i look at that mirror before i leave the house everyday and avoid all other mirrors outside the house. hey, anything to make myself feel good right?

18/1/06 6:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Just to be difficult (and because I have a 6 ft tall, 15 ft long mirror in my living room) - I think rip back to the start of the ribbing, add your inches, and then do the band.

You know what you need to do. :)

Since the Hourglass is on my project list, thanks so much for the tip!! Splendid idea.

18/1/06 6:51 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I have no opinion on the ribbing (I can NEVER visualize how something will turn out, the story of Hot Lava) but I have some sympathy for the boy...I can't have any mirrors facing the bed...lest I wake up and see something scary there...too many horror movies, I guess...when you think you're in the room alone and then you see someone behind you in the mirrorr...ooo, I'm getting creeped out just thinking about it!

18/1/06 8:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I vote for longer ribbing as well. I think that would be a very flattering addition.

18/1/06 10:16 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

how can you live without a full-length mirror! in my old apartment, i used to stand on the toilet so that i could see my bottom half in the bathroom mirror. i just don't trust my own eyes.

ahem. i think ribbing will be fine, but it's really a decision only you can make!

19/1/06 2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol boy is funny. I had a friend in elementary school who didn't want a tv in her room because she had seen a horror movie where someone comes through a tv and kills you. Hmm a kid not liking tv?

19/1/06 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lengthen the ribbing... I think it would look really cool with the longer rib extentsion... p.s. love the Jack guy too

19/1/06 11:15 AM  
Blogger E said...

If you look back in chez erin's archives I think you may find matching unflattering pictures. Mine was uber short per-pattern. Instead of knitting more (lazy and unmotivated here) I just blocked the crap out of this sweater. I probably stretched 4" out of blocking, and man does it look good. So, one vote for lazy here.

And I still absolutely love the colours you've used. So. Freaking. Cute.

19/1/06 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not one to like lots of ribbing around my middle, so I'd rip back and add extra rows and then start ribbing. But that's just me. YAY for a fellow 24 watcher! Now we can talk yarn and consipiracy theory. President Logan is an IDIOT!

19/1/06 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Longer ribbing. Definitely! I'd also lengthen the sleeves so that they would come down to my knuckles, but that's just me liking super long sleeves. I'm loving how your cardi is coming together!

And, pretty pretty colour for the Hourglass too! :)

PS: Jack is hot!

xx

19/1/06 3:16 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I saw the movie Child's Play when I was about 7 and from that point on, I told all my dolls that I loved them equally so they wouldn't wake up and kill me. Seeing Chucky still freaks me out, so I understand your bf's lingering fear!

I don't necessarily feel qualified to make a judgement on the sweater but I can say that I like how the collar comes onto your shoulders a bit, it's sexy!

19/1/06 3:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you really want to rip it out or you wouldn't be asking...I'd rip it, or every time I looked at it I would hear a little voice that saying, “you should have ripped it” and then never wear it – no matter how fantastic it looked with extra ribbing. But then you probably aren’t as crazy as I am.

19/1/06 7:14 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I love the Hourglass color, it's going to look great! My DH has been watching 24 since it started and I never got into it until this season, so you're in for (or into) a treat!

19/1/06 8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the hourglass color! And I SO hear you on the 24 knitting. I watched Monday's with knitting on my lap for 2 hours... my hands never moved, except to curl tighter into tense little fists... good call on the long, boring, stockinette. :)

20/1/06 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw your pics I instantly felt your pain. I am in the last part of a cardi I have been working on forev-ah!

But I think your cardi looks great and the fit seems perfect. I can't wait to see the finished project and just think how thrilled you'll be when bind off that last stitch.

21/1/06 9:28 AM  
Blogger George and Erin said...

hmm... aren't cropped cardigans "in" this season?

p.s. I also crave boring stst while knee-deep in complicated projects

22/1/06 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you dye that pink yourself? Yum.

22/1/06 5:25 PM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

don't like too much full-length mirrors either so I put mine behind a door that usually remains open : this way we see it only when we need it..
I'd vote for longer ribbing, I'm sure it'd work well. That cardi looks great, and I loove the pink malabrigo as well.. still haven't decided yet what to do with the one you sent me btw (have a couple ideas but to decide !) but I know it'll be awesome too.. ;-P

26/1/06 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home