1.13.2006

wisdom in a box


Dating the son of a dentist doesn't sound exciting or terribly interesting, but somehow I picked the one that keeps supplying me with blog and party stories to no end. Case in point? Before xmas I got a call from the dentist telling me how my tooth was apparently on a tour and everyone was so interested in it (way to make me feel like a freak!). This confused and annoyed me, what the hell was my tooth doing with other people? Hell, why is it even still around? Nevermind that, what really got me was what he said next: "I made you something for xmas!" My response? "It's not a necklace is it?!" I didn't know what to expect. I already hated this tooth for causing me four hours of pain and torture, now I have to wear it like my personal albatross? How do you even match your outfits to a tooth? Maybe it's cool for Angelina to wear a vial of blood around her neck, but I didn't want to go there. (Once you start wearing your teeth as accessories, you need to dress differently, get new friends, get a whole new lifestyle really. That's just too much work for me right now.)

Thankfully, it wasn't a necklace. Instead, I got my tooth back in a weird form of a memento mori (or would it be memento denti?). Maybe he failed to understand that I didn't want my tooth back, I mean if I wanted to keep it then I wouldn't have gone through surgery, right? Anyway, now I have a visual tool for my story of torture, I think it makes it very climatic when I whip this out at the part I say "and after hours of not budging..."

Actually looking at this tooth makes me wonder if it held some sort of magical power that I now lack. I haven't felt like myself since the extraction, my knitting is taking longer, my blogging has taken a nose-dive, and don't even mention housework. Sure, I could blame all of it on work, but no I think it's the tooth. Once it was ripped out of me I lost a little part of myself (har-dee-har-har). I bet this one contained knitting wisdom, which is now stuck in a little clear box. Look at how big that one root is! You can't tell me that wasn't a lot of knowledge in there. I have one more wisdom tooth left, I'm scared to find out what power that one contains.

In the meantime, my knitting continues at a slow pace. I've only had maybe an hour to knit at night, but my progress isn't too shabby. When we last saw the cardigan I had just split the sleeves, I think. It's grown a little since then.

I feel very theo huxtable in this pic, but I do what I have to do. I'm knitting the sleeves flat so that's why the one sleeve looks a little funky. I'm undecided about the length, I'm always undecided about length. I'm going to block it before I pick up the button bands to see if I should add some more or if blocking will add enough. I'm knitting this at a different gauge for my size, making it a few inches smaller than what the pattern calls for. I like my sweaters with little ease, but should bulky sweaters be like that? This is dangerous ground I tell ya. I'll need to think about this over the weekend. I sorely miss that wisdom tooth.


22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha nice teeth! a little creepy, a little sweet at the same time.

13/1/06 11:50 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I have to say that the tooth encased in plastic is a quirky little gift. That is one heck of a root.

13/1/06 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool! My mom is getting knee replacement surgery next month and if she could, I know she'd want to have the bone they're slicing off encased like that.

13/1/06 12:35 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Since you have your wisdom tooth back, perhaps the wisdom will come back to you? Or maybe it will be the Tooth Oracle and you can consult on weighty matters...

13/1/06 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, bulky sweaters need just as little ease as regular sweaters. At least that is my experience.

dude, he sent you the tooth in a box? That just creeps me out. Although maybe you'll get your mojo back now.

13/1/06 1:20 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

that is really weird...very nice work on the grape cardi tho!

13/1/06 1:50 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

There's something really cool about that tooth thing & now if I ever get any of my teeth taken out I will totally want one. - I just probably wouldn't want to look at it very much...:)

13/1/06 3:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You are like Samson or something. I have saved lots of pets' teeth, but never my own.

13/1/06 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm clenching my teeth together just looking at it!

13/1/06 5:54 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

13/1/06 6:05 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

mmm...I had my wisdom teeth (all 4 of them!) out at 14...could that be what happened? So much is clear now....
Hey, just be glad he didn't do something creepy-er with it...like put it in an engagement ring and send it to his son!
Ew!
Thanks for the 'good luck' it seems to have worked! (maybe that's what your other wisdom tooth holds, 'good luck' wishing powers)

13/1/06 6:06 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

I thought it was funny!! =) It made me laugh. The cardigan is looking great! The color is good on you.

13/1/06 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My.

I just have to say, kind of creepy, kind of cool. I wanted all 4 of my wisdom teeth but apparently when you're put under it gives the surgeon license to hack them out without consequence. Oh well. Keep it for the grandkids? :-)

- MJ

13/1/06 6:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure he meant well...now you've got quite a little conversation starter.

The cardigan is looking great.

13/1/06 9:43 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

what's so intriguing about your teeth that he's showing everybody? that seems like it would violate some sort of regulation, no?

LOVE how the cardigan is progressing in all of its top-down raglan goodness. why theo huxtable?

13/1/06 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't know if that's a sweet gift or just a bit odd. If u feel like you're losing your knitting knack, just fub the teeth.

13/1/06 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just too creepy! I have a phobia of teeth and everything related to teeth, so I would not have reacted in such a calm way, I tell you.

I s'ppose it's a sweet thought from the dentist... in a weird sick kind of way... ;)

You're making such good progress on the cardi, I really can't wait to see more :)

xxx

14/1/06 6:32 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Ai yi yi - those teeth freak me out. What a funny fellow your bf's dad is. He sounds great.

14/1/06 12:25 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I like the teeth in a box, and I really like you're cardi! It's actually making me see that as something I may want to knit.

14/1/06 5:44 PM  
Blogger xtina said...

The teeth encased in that thing reminds me of those flies in fake ice cubes. The cardi looks really cute, Me...I'd add ribbing around everything.

14/1/06 9:24 PM  
Blogger Laura.Y said...

what a story LOL, kinda odd and chic in a way..:)

18/1/06 11:47 AM  
Blogger Cerella said...

Hey, I'm down with saving body parts! I had my tonsils removed about 10 years ago and I still have then in a jar. My husband (and everyone else for that matter) thinks that I'm a freak. But hey, to each their own! :)

2/2/06 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home