6.10.2005

I quit

That's it! I'm done knitting. Maybe I'll become one of those people that only makes fancy scarves. Why am I being my usual overdramatic self? Here you take a look:

mistake!


No, not the dirty carpet. What's on the floor, the two differing pieces of cloth that taunt me. I was so happy too! I thought, cool I'm done knitting, now all I have to do is seam it and we can wear this biatch. But in the back of my mind I was wondering why it seemed to be heavier on the needles or curling a lot more. Being that close to the end must have clouded my judgement, because I ignored myself and kept on going. So now I have these two pieces that have at least a 2 inch difference, not only in width but in length. Now, if I was sewing, I would just cut the fabric or, if I had done the seam, cut the extra fabric. What do I do with this? Please gentle reader, don't ask me to rip it out and knit it again. I can't even tell what mistake I made. Did I do too many increases without noticing or do I just not know how to keep gauge? I think this is someone telling me that I should have done the back and front consecutively instead of doing all those little straps in between.


Alright, tell me what to do. My fate is in your hands.

Here is what it's suppossed to look like:

6 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

thanks Vy. I'm thinking of cutting it or something! But then the stripes wont match.

10/6/05 10:50 PM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

Block that sucker, girlie. What sort of fiber is it? You may be able to wet it and pin it out to the same size. If the gauge is right, perhaps one piece got a little stretched out somehow. Never give up!!!!

11/6/05 1:00 AM  
Blogger illanna said...

Don't give up! I know what's the matter: you didn't put enough "product" in your hair. Step 1: Go to the drug store and peruse the "product" aisle. Step 2: Buy one of each. Step 3: Apply all, repeat as needed.

At least the frogging will be therapeutic! Put on some "ambient" music and rip it back a little!

12/6/05 1:24 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

Thanks for all the help kids!

You figured out why I'm growing my hair out, so I can fashion a rat's nest on top of my head.

The stuff is microfiber = no blocking. :(

Vy,that's the front and back knit on the bias. So the corner you cast on is the bottom left corner. Then you seam four of the stripes together on both sides. I was thinking of doing the sewing/cutting thing, but Im not sure how it will work with this one since the length is different as well.

I may have to face it and rip back, but I don't think there is one spot I can do it at. I may have to frog the whole thing! I'll need a lot of music for this one :) The dumb part is, I might have figured out why the huge difference, umm I knitted with different needles! The first one were susan bates while the second piece were clovers. yeah, Im dumb

12/6/05 9:48 AM  
Blogger Atouria said...

Aww, you're not dumb for not using the same needles! You would *think* that there was some sort of universal standard that they would all live up to.

I hope that you won't give up on this top. It's been looking great so far, and I can't wait to see you modeling the FO! :)

12/6/05 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just surfing through - to admire your non-wool dying tutorial - and came across your question about the mis-matched lengths and widths.

I can't see a problem with the differing lengths - you just end up with the top ending higher in the back than in the front. It's all in the "magic" of the seaming.
I am performing some "magic" of my own at the moment on a bulky knit top for someone else. Only I actually knit a two rows too many! (Even though I used the same needles.)
So the seaming is going to hide it.
I hope!

18/6/05 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home