7.29.2005

Hooking up

Knitting is a lot like dating. There are some projects that you love through and through. You had the hots for it at first sight (or thought), you chose your favorite yarn for it, and in your mind's eye the two of you lived happily ever after. Then there are those other projects, the ones that you like it's personality but you aren't neccessarily attracted to. You figure it's a nice project, maybe I'll grow to love if I give it a chance. There are the ones you know to stay away from, they are way too complicated, too ugly, or you've been burned by this kind before. There's another kind that noone ever really thinks about, the too easy project. It sneaks up on you when you don't feel ready for a commitment, you just want an easy one night stand. The problem is, that it's too fast and too easy. You are left with a mess to clean up the next morning. How do you part ways? Do you have to see eachother again? Can you make it work? This is where I find myself this morning. I tried to ignore it while I drank my coffee, hoping that it would go away. But this one is a stubborn one, still hanging out in my room after breakfast. It wants to make it work, maybe I can change or, better yet, I can make it change.


Good and Plenty Scarf
Pattern: My own

Yarn: Handspun Thick and Thin Wool and DK Mohair
Needles: US 19
Date Started: July 28, 2005
Date Finished: July 28, 2005

Look at how it just hangs there, all full of itself. Little does it know that I will change it. You hear me? I will change you! I was sucked in by the yarn, the quickness, and the idea of it. But when I was done, the bf gave me a look like "what did you just make?". That killed it for me. Then it was a lot longer than I wanted, which sealed the deal. It needs to be reworked. I was going to post this yesterday and then last night, but I was too embarrassed. This is the equivalent of calling your friends after you met a guy at a bar and took him home. How do you tell them that you really thought it was going to work? You know you are thinking, what was she doing, why didn't I stop her?

If you want the pattern, it's pretty easy. Just be careful and don't let it get the best of you.
CO 4
Row 1 k
Row 2 k1fb, k to last stitch, k1fb
Row 3 knit
Repeat rows 2 and 3 till as wide as you would like (I went to 10 stitches)
Row 1 k1, k2tog, knit to last 3 stitches, ssk, k1
Row 2 k
Repeat rows 1 and 2 till you are back to your original co number.
Switch to thinner yarn and either knit in either garter or garter ridge
Knit for as long as you want and then switch to bulky yarn again.

I'll be reworking this today, and I'll show you all that we were meant to be. It was kismet I tell you.

edit:

I was only able to work on the scarf for a bit this morning, so I figured I would show what I got done then. Should I continue as is, or do as Diana suggests and make it a striped scarf? I'm using 19's so does this mean I should go up a needle size? Has anyone else noticed that my "quick" projects are my most annoying?!
Oh, I think I should mention that I only have about 50 yds of the handspun stuff, that doesn't matter right. Right?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute. I have many bad love affairs. Maybe you don't have to frog? I think it would hang better if the connecting parts were more solid and wide. Maybe you can just pick up and add. Or, add 2 more strips that you braid, so that the bobbly crumpets are connected by braided parts? Just throwing ideas out there.

29/7/05 11:14 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I won't be frogging it completely, instead I'll be reordering things. I'll just make both ends more solid and then keep the middle the thin part, though not as thin.

29/7/05 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen some interesting scarves that appear to alternate rows of very thin and very thick yarns...all on large-sized needles. Just an idea!

29/7/05 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm hmmm hmmm. My first thought was actually, "Oh I would wear that", then I started to read and I felt pretty bad, I'm not sure I have any suggestions, but I really think you can some how make it work..

ha.

that was the most pointless comment ever.

29/7/05 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the concept and love that yarn. I do think if there was less of a diff. in width it would work better. IMHO, there's enough of a difference with the two different yarns that there isn't a need to add in another element.

30/7/05 1:11 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

true, that's what I tried to do in the second version, but it still hasn't wont me over. The problem is, that even if the two yarns are knit in the same number of stitches the skinny yarn just crumples on itself. In the second version, I increased rapidly to 20 stitches after switching to the skinny yarn. We will see what the next manifestation will be.

Thanks for the ideas, I love them...keep them coming! I will have another FO (or two) to post soon...

30/7/05 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home