7.18.2005

Isn't that a little short?

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days (or maybe you are happy about that, who knows!?), but I haven't been able to get to my comp. Either we've been out and about (Tom's best friend was over), sleeping, or just vegging. Not too much knitting going on really, but more about that later. For now I wanted to show you something, ready?

Ok, so it doesn't look like much, but to me it's huge! If you look closely you'll notice that this weird thing has some short row action going on. Yep, I finally get along with short rows thanks to Teva Durham. Sunday was the short row workshop at Rosie's, where a dozen of us got to sit in a hot and humid room with Teva the great. She was so personable, I love her! She already was one of my knitting goddesses, but meeting her really sealed the deal.

For some reason, I was the only one with no short row experience. Everyone else had made scarves, sweaters, and socks with them. I really don't know what was going on there, but hey to each their own. That weird ruffle that isn't a ruffle up there is nature wool mixed with artful yarns vaudeville (I got it from the scrap basket we were allowed to pick from). The bulky ribbon is really making my little swatch stiff (the nature wool is a worsted weight yarn), but I still love it. Now I'm ready to tackle a couple of projects I didn't think I could, such as Teva's octagon purse and the little capelet from Scarf Style.

Teva was cool, she told us about her next book which is going to be all crochet. While that won't be out till 2007, look out for a new pattern in that knitscape that's coming out this fall. She also showed us some of the designs from her book (did you know she was knitting the ruffled scarf for Scarf Style, until Melanie Falick told her to keep it for the book?), while also showing us things that didn't make it in. She also told us a few other stories, but I just don't remember right now.

Here's another look at my swatch:



And my signed book:


edit: blogger pictures aren't working, so I had to switch back to flickr. also the reason why this post took a year to write. I hate you blogger.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teva seems like a very cool designer. I am noticing her patterns more and more in past magazines, and jealous you got meet her!

18/7/05 4:00 PM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

.. hehe, so it IS you in the pic on rosie's blog !! I was just browsing her blog and then I was like "wait, that looks like Yahaira!" Even py partner had noticed...
So you get it all together, a pic with Teva, a signed book, ...and of course the seminar itself ! I'm jealous..

21/7/05 8:09 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

lol, yep that's me looking horrible in that heat. It's good to know I'm famous in France ;)

21/7/05 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home