8.15.2005

Chatty Cathy

I'm usually a very quiet person, especially when I don't know many people. As I get to know someone I start talking more and more. In elementary school I was the kid that had their desk moved around the classroom so I would stop talking (this wouldn't start till half-way through the school year). This really wouldn't work though, since we always found a way to talk or eventually I got moved around so much that I ended up where I started from. When I started high school I hardly spoke, I didn't know anyone while everyone else had gone to elementary and middle school together. I spoke so softly that one guy got really annoyed annoyed with me in class while we were working in groups. I, and most people actually, never spoke to him again (trust me, it wasn't a loss). By eleventh grade though our AP Language teacher started calling us "Chatty Cathys", I got so annoyed at this that I went back to not talking. Yeah, that didn't last long. I retreated back in college; I made a friend here and there in classes, but once the semester was over I didn't see them again unless we saw eachother somewhere randomly on campus or we had another class together.

Why am I bringing this up? Ever since college, I didn't understand how you were supposed to make friends. There are work acquaintances, but that can be a little awkward if you ask me. Do you really want to hang out with people you are forced to be with during the day? Sometimes there is the diamond in the rough friend you do find at work, but they are rare to say the least. Somehow I've found myself finding friends online through knitting blogs or at knitting events. I love reading about what you guys have been up to, what you are knitting, and where you have been. I haven't been blogging as much for the last week or so not because I'm retreating, but because sickness plagues la casa de knit fix. Tom fell first with congestion and laryngitis. I was fighting it off until this weekend, when I started to get that scratchy feeling in my throat. Now I had whatever nastiness he has (who gets sick in the summer?!). Times have gotten so desperate that I'm making chicken soup from scratch, from scratch people! And not just regular chicken soup, but Chicken Pho. Even when I'm sick I am a foody at heart. I'll report how it comes out later.


There has been some knitting and some thinking about knitting going on. I'm trying to come up with a pattern for a small jacket/shrug that I saw at a store. I'm sure there's a pattern out there I could find if I searched for it. But I wanted to set a little challenge for myself and actually do it myself. I think I'm going to use some Rowan Ribbon Twist that is currently living as a wrap (it doesn't know yet that it's going to a trip to the pond). I just need to get the right length needles to get this project started. It's going to be nice and quick on 17's (or 19's), but right now I only have a 16" circ, when I think I need at least a 24" or 32". Do I spend the money or do I just squeeze the stitches on the 16"?




F.O Queen? Hardly! You guys are nuts!! I've just been trying to clear out the queue so I can get started on new projects. I want to finish so bad that I actually picked up the bias tank again, with the right needles this time. I'm ripping it out while I reknit, is that recycling or what? Right now I'm in the black hole that is the fifth stripe (stripes 5-8 are the slowest ones), but this should be done soon until I get to the hellish seaming. What else do we see here? Some Cascade that my lovely SP sent me, it's a felted bag kit that I can't wait to knit up. Next to that is a little purse I test knitted last week (I hope to be able to show you soon) that just needs a liner dropped in. There's also some Optimum DK that was frogged, I tried to make an aviator cap with it but this yarn is too drapey for it and the colors started to pool in weird places. Any suggestions on what I could use this yarn for? I have a little over 200 yds of it.

Oh! Did I mention that I finally received my Fall IK? Right after I cancelled my subscription no less. I was underwhelmed by it, so no losses there. I'm just waiting for the new Rebecca to get delivered and I'll probably head out sometime this week to get the Rowan and the summer one. I see myself cheating on my yarn diet soon, just warning you (and explaining why I'm trying to hurry in my knitting).

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh yucky! A summer cold! How miserable. I hope you feel better soon.

15/8/05 6:46 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I always get colds in the summer. It always feels so much worse when it's hot out. I hope you feel better!

15/8/05 9:31 PM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

Hope you guys recover soon. And you can post pics of the purse whenever, I'll to post the free patt. as soon as laurent tells me where to host it (and as soon as blogger is accessible again ! Damn, can't even update or anything !)

16/8/05 3:26 AM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

Oh, and Yeah! for you starting your own patterns..!!!

16/8/05 3:27 AM  
Blogger heatherfeather said...

i've always wondered how one makes friends once out of school too. in fact, for me it was so hard, that it may have been a big factor in my going to grad school... moving to a new city for a job is really really hard...

that whole first paragraph sounded quite a lot like me - people think i'm so quiet and shy, and then once i relax, i get comments like, "wow, conversations with you are very, um, interesting. who knew you had such weird little thoughts when you were so quiet..."

it was the hardest in maine where my closest friend was my boss, and the only other person who didn't grow up within 2miles of where they lived as adults...

16/8/05 10:42 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I think there's a lot of us quiet, chatty types. Something about big groups and melding with them. Yet here we are in cyberspace chatting it up with people all around the world, with none of those awkward silences.

Maine was really hard as well, sometimes it felt a little too isolating there. I was lucky since I was taking classes so I had people that I was forced to interact with, but it really got old when those were the only people you could hang out with morning, noon, and night especially when there's a darkroom involved.

17/8/05 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home