10.13.2005

A little reprieve

It seems that after working with 'the-yarn-that-shall-not-be-named', I was cursed not to get gauge in any of my nicer yarns for projects I desperately want to knit. Maybe this is a new power I attained, when terrible yarn is near me a scar that looks like a swatch will burn on my forehead. Or maybe I just needed a little sweater break, you know a quick mindless project to raise the spirits. My requirements were simple: a not so boring pattern, yarn from the stash, and the finished product had to be something I would actually use. No dischcloths or cozies of any kind (though iPod cozies are allowed). I came up with the perfect cure, a serpent for any HP fan!

Nah! just fooling you! It's actually a scarf from loop-d-loop.


Project: Lace Leaf Scarf by Teva Durham
Yarn: Rowan Polar in Blast
Needles: 8mm
Date Started:10.12.05
Date Finished:10.13.05

Why did Rowan discontinue this yarn?! Of course I'm in love with it, but all I can do is mourn the loss and be glad that I had a skein of it left in the old stash. I really like it's softness and how it has a bit of shine in it. In this color, it looked like there was some gold in it (and no burrs!). If you see this yarn at your lys on sale, don't hesitate to grab some for scarves, hats, or even a felted bag.

I've had this pattern for months, but either I didn't have yarn for it or it was a million degrees outside and I just wasn't motivated. The dreary weather we are enjoying in the Northeast helped the pattern come out of hiding. The scarf was a super quick knit, I think in total it took me two hours to knit it. I decided to just keep going until I ran out of yarn as part of my 'no more random yarn' mantra. Even finishing it was fast, since there were only a couple of strand to weave in and I lightly steam blocked it to ease some of the rolling and to flatten the leaves. The pattern is definately a contender for quick x-mas presents (it's not too early to think about this), it was actually fun and interesting to knit. I loved seeing the leaf take shape and now want to use the motif in other patterns. Yeah, yeah, I know there's a sweater out there that already has it. But, I'm thinking a thinner sweater or a bag would be cute.

Tomorrow, more sock knitting and perhaps some progress on the BMC.

You didn't really think I knit a snake for HP did you?

Sorry for the weird picture, but I don't usually take pics of myself while holding the camera. I'll try to post a more detailed shot tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that pattern! Super easy and a quick knit. FYI - I knit three of them for Christmas gifts last year. It's the perfect thing!

14/10/05 2:45 AM  
Blogger yuvee said...

Okay, I admit, I really thought that you knit a serpent and thought, "How fun!"
Anyway, lovely scarf you've got there ;)
Ain't I a lucky girl to have a pack of Polar in my stash? You can still find some at ebay anyway.

14/10/05 7:53 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Is that pattern in the book - very cute! I was totally freaked out by your first photo. Am glad it was not what it looked like.

I agree with Eunny about the sweater. I like it a lot, but if I knit it, it would be for the coziness factor only. I wouldn't fool myself that it was flattering.

14/10/05 8:33 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Boy, in that first picture, it really did look like a snake! Fabulous FO, and did you say it was quick? I have some Christmas presents to churn out...

14/10/05 12:40 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

we are knitting project twins. i knit this scarf last year. so cute and fun! i didn't make mine long enough, tho. yours looks great, if serpent-like!

15/10/05 4:27 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

Ha you crack me up! I would love a HP snake...but wouldn't it have to be green?

If you're really lonely without the boy, we could schedule a CNJ knitting meetup...whatta ya think?

16/10/05 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent use of the yarn! Congratulations on having a non-sucky yarn experience.

17/10/05 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home