10.09.2005

Thinking ahead

What does every knitter do just before completing a project? Join two kals and start swatching for new projects of course! Sure, I could've worked on the cardie and had an FO report today, but nooo I rather laze around and start playing with new yarn. I think the breaking point came when, while knitting up the button band, I thought I had a lot of dandruff on my shirt. Weird, I don't have dandruff really! Umm, yeah it was the yarn!!! WTH. Then I thought I cut myself with it which led to it's banishment. I swear that the Silky Wool is cursed. Today though, nothing but lovely yarn.

I first swatched Glampyre's Bulky Mini Cardy. I've been wanting to knit this one up for weeks, but I was waiting on the main color yarn. It finally arrived on Friday and I couldn't stand it any longer. I got the pattern gauge on US 13's, but the fabric was too loose. I decided to go with US 11's at about 3.5 spi. A little less bulky, but it should still be a quick knit. The cc will be some brown chunky wool I happen to have in my stash; I hope the colors mix well together.


The next project on my list is the ever popular Hot Lava, which I'll be knitting in Malabrigo worsted merino in Rosa Vivacity. I still have to tink with the gauge on this one (may even have to whip out "the maths" as I like to call it). The pattern gauge is 3 spi and 5rpi with US 11's. The swatch above is on US 11's but with a gauge of 3.5 spi and 5 rpi, close but the fabric is too loose once again. My first swatch was on 10.5's with a gauge of 4-4.5 spi. I'll keep playing around untill I get a fabric that looks right, but it's a little frustrating since I usually get gauge the first time around. Did anyone get gauge for this pattern or did you just try it on as you went?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know.. I used Malabrigo for my Hot Lava and got 3spi. It was loose, but it doesn't look bad. I'm actually trying to get official FO shots of this today since I finally put the buttons on it. But you can read my issues with the sweater here And because I knit the sweater for the largest bust size, there are issues I have with the excess fabric it creates at the collar, but I was too lazy to try to tink with the design to try to fix it. I hope this helps you.

Despite that, even at 3spi, the sweater is REALLY warm and super soft. I didn't want to take it off last night.

9/10/05 9:25 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Two lovely projects! I've got Hot Lava dreams too. I have some lamb's pride bulky I'm thinking of using. Your yarn looks delicious though!

9/10/05 10:12 PM  
Blogger heatherfeather said...

i swatched for my hot lava but fudged the row gauge and wound up with sleeves that were 4 inches beyond fingertip length and a victorian nipped in waist. but i'm diametrically opposed to frogging entire sweaters, so i just deal with it... lovely yarn you've chosen, though!

9/10/05 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that pink yarn. That'll be so pretty.

I also like the blue and brown together.

I still think you should rip out the entire sweater and throw out the yarn.

10/10/05 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hot Lava... I first tried on to knit it on 10.5's because my swatch with the 11's was too loose of a stitch. But, the 10.5's made the pattern too small for me. So I ripped it and knit it on the 11's and then final project was HUGE. In the end, the yarn I was using wasn't going to work either - so the whole project got frogged and re-used for something else. But the pattern is great and it was a quick knit... next time I personally would do it on 10.5's but do one size up for proper fit.

10/10/05 2:08 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

I love that color blue, I can't wait to see these projects!

10/10/05 2:47 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

it's always good to think ahead

10/10/05 5:24 PM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

brown & blue.... LOVE IT!!! Cannot wait to see the BMC take shape!
and as for Malabrigo, I swear that one of these here days I will make myself a little bed from skeins of Malabrigo in the back room of the shop & fjust loat away. That stuff is BEYOND soft.
that pink, also amazing! Maybe some chocolate brown buttons to set the pink!??

10/10/05 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home