9.27.2005

Fending off temptation

ugh, This post was originally started this afternoon, but apparently my computer had other plans. Crashing was one of them, ceasing to work was the other. I'm on the boy's computer now while he tries to save all my documents on mine. I hate to think of all the images I've lost along with all the patterns I had in there. At least I was able to save my thesis paper and images, though I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with them now.
Enough about that, though I will give you a PSA: Backup your computer!

On to knitting. It was tough to not immediately start on a new project with all the new stash yarn, but I was strong and stuck to my "finishing things" mantra. Funny thing is, I haven't been knitting that much. The last time I touched this sock was on Saturday night when I got to the heel. Can I just say how much I like not having to pickup a bunch of stitches? I actually restarted the sock on Friday morning on the way to Stitches to get a better toe then worked on the foot on the way home and some on Saturday. The heel was done twice, but I'm still not completely happy with it. One side is perfect, but the other side leaves something to be desired. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not using long enough needles and that side stretched or because of the way I purled together the stitches with their wrap. When I pick it up again I need to decide what to do with the leg; do I keep the lace exactly where it is or do I somehow spread it around the whole leg?


What have I been working on then? The NSS Cardie is moving along, though for a while there I thought I was never going to split the sleeves. The rows just kept going and going. It's a little faster now, but surprisingly not by that much. I think what's keeping me from picking this up all the time is the yarn. This yarn gets really rough and starts drying and scratching my hands. For some reason I keep finding plant matter in it (last I checked Noro had conquered the "plants in yarns" game) or what I think is plant or cactus or something really rough. I love the color (#09), love the pattern, hate the yarn. Silky Wool is a definite "never again" for me.

I still will try to make it this week's exclusive project, it's finally starting to feel like fall here and I would love to have a new cardigan by this weekend to wear in these cool nights. This is definitely a lofty goal I'm sure I won't meet, since once the body is done I have to: knit the sleeves, pick up the button and neck bands, and somehow knit instead of crochet some ruffles. So, I'm not making any promises...

11 Comments:

Blogger illanna said...

The lace is SOOO pretty!!!

By the way, zombie or not, I still like Knitty Gritty! I also like the word "naysayer." You crack me up.

28/9/05 3:30 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Cheer up-I believe in you yahaira! You'll get your cardi done, I'll get the last sleeve of my sweater done and we'll be ready for hot lava, right? Maybe we should start a KAL on Craftster, eh? When we're ready to get started?
oh, and what's the cardigan pattern? It appears to be top down, is it a glampyre pattern?

28/9/05 3:49 AM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

Hey, I've just rssed you, so now I don't have to ckeck on you all the time and know as soon as you've posted.. ;-D
Anyhow, so sorry to hear about your computer crash ! It seems like the new fashion for them computers, right..? Anyhow, I only wrote about the befginning of the story with ours, but laurent found an online thing that checks your disk and got me back most of my pics. Still need to do it again for word docs (who knows, I might be lucky). It's awfully long (took 4 days) but worked, so let me know if you want the name..
Otherwise, good on you for keeping with your ufos and not touching the new yarn ! You're so strong !! I'm sure I couldn't!

28/9/05 3:54 AM  
Blogger heatherfeather said...

i think that sheep get stuck in thickets and thickets get stuck in sheep and then sheep are shorn, and then you wind up with wool with little sticks in it.

either that or i have a grave misunderstanding of what wool is. that's the only way i keep myself sane when finding enough sticks in wool to make the house of the second little pig.

i'm fond of your socks. since you've conquered your fear of magic loop, i feel as though i need to conquer my fear of sock knitting...

28/9/05 8:22 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Ugh, sorry about your computer. That really sucks. I hope you are able to recover all of your files. My boy gave me the best birthday present last year--a LaCie Porsche hard drive. I love it. My home computer is pretty old so I was always worrying that it would poop out one day and take all of my digital photos with it.

Is that sock going to be a knee sock? How cute! The cardi is great too.

28/9/05 8:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I learned about backing up my computer the hard way a couple of years ago. I'm sorry it happened to you! I hope you can recover some of what you've lost.

I have faith you'll finish the cardi!

28/9/05 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marilyn is look good.

I second you on the yarn...it's a bit grainy, maybe we shoud have splurged and when for the Silky Tweed.

28/9/05 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucks about the computer, sucks about the yucky yarn.

But, the sock looks fabulous. You may just want to leave the heel as is. They get beat up pretty quickly and you won't notice it, what with all the smooshing together of your stitches caused by walking in the sock. But my vote would be to continue the lace up the front of the sock and leave the rest of the cuff in stockinette.

28/9/05 1:24 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

My DH is pretty good about backing up our computer (I think) but thanks for the warning. I'm sorry you lost so much, hopefully you can get the stuff you saved together enough to use. The knitting looks great! I've found some plant matter in my Spring Garden, but not too much.

28/9/05 2:12 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

hurrah for magic loop!
i'm thinking of making an MNSS for my mom, but i want to see someone else finish it first. so you must finish it!!!

29/9/05 12:45 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

Sorry you're have a bad Silky Wool experience with it. I'm knitting an Elsebeth Lavold pattern with it and I'm loving it! I've found it nice and soft. I have found a *few* pieces of plant matter in it but in my skeins it's more like little pieces of hay and not the rough stuff you're finding. I'm knitting a cable pattern and they're showing up really beautifully. Check out my blog for some pics if you're interested. I hope you like your cardi once it's done!

1/10/05 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home