9.19.2005

Look who's blocking

I fought an inner struggle today, laziness with a touch of boredom (or is it the other way around) prevailed. The River Stole est fini (except for blocking) and it didn't come a moment too soon. I was actually thinking of going beyond the 12 repeats and making it a nice, long stole (and that would be one less random skein in my stash), but my wrist and shoulder have been hurting lately so now we all get an FO.

Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze in Candy Girl (606)
Pattern: River Stole, Rowan #38
Needles: Clover Ivory straights US 10.5
Date Started: 09.02.05
Date Finished: 09.19.05


I think my hands hurt because I knit with my pinky out anytime I picked up the stole, that's how fancy it is! Which worries me since, well, I don't really think I'm that fancy. Cultured maybe, but fancy? This stole requires a total different life; one filled with "dining out", going to the theater or opera, visiting your friends at the museum, fancy clothes, and an Ethan Allen home. Mine is more grabbing something to eat, going to the gym, spending a lot of nights with my "tv friends", and an Ikea home. Troublesome since I was thinking of knitting up a Birch Shawl. A shawl would complicate my life even more, forcing me to go out to "tie and jacket required" restaurants exclusively, ordering a new fall "wardrobe", and donating a lot of money to the "museum friends circle". Do I change for my knitting or does the knitting change for me? Perhaps a "river scarf" is more fitting.


Yeah, a scarf is more my cup of tea. Once it's blocked it will be perfect scarf length and can be worn non-chalantly at my local watering hole (who says that anyway?). The question is, how do I sneak in a shawl into my life?

14 Comments:

Blogger Horse Power said...

It's beautiful! The color is especially nice with that outfit.

19/9/05 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! And I know what you mean about a fancier lifestyle with something like this. Some of the things I want to knit, I wonder where on earth I will ever where them.

19/9/05 5:14 PM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

I'll say it again... LOVE that candy girl! The scarf came out super great! I have a pile of things I would like to make, butI also wonder... where in the hell am I going to wear them. So I focus my time on things that I know I will use right now. Besides, I figure soon enough I will be designing fancy things for OTHER people. I can get it out of my system then. : )

19/9/05 5:37 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

It looks gorgeous! You could wear it any of the places you mentioned (well except for the gym).

19/9/05 5:55 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i love that color! very yummy! i say if you are feeling fancy one night, wear it to dinner. or pretend you are high society when you go grocery shopping one day. or if not, i'm sure your "tv friends" will want to see what you've been working on all this time! (Det. Briscoe from "Law and Order" love my Lelah top!)

19/9/05 10:19 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

It's beautiful! I've been wondering the same thing...so my shawl is sadly waiting for me to feel worthy of it. I pick it up when I can convince myself that it will one day be a heirloom, and sooner than that, I'll want to be one of those older arty/crazy women who wear flowing wraps in bright colors and dangly earrings. I got to get started now, in my 20s to earn my (future) eccentric rep!

19/9/05 10:57 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

It looks just gorgeous, especially with your outfit. Maybe you can wear it to the next wedding? How about a skirt sort of thing? I love the color, you're making me want to make it and I don't do shawls either!

19/9/05 11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh I like it! Looks gorgeous!

20/9/05 12:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the color too. Another great FO.Great job girl!

20/9/05 4:55 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow, you finished that so quickly! It looks beautiful too. Use it as a scarf for everyday, and then when you go out for a nice dinner, throw it over a cocktail dress. It'll look wonderful!

20/9/05 9:57 AM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

the scarf way looks very coolio on you, BUT yahaira, you don't get to see all your amazing stitchwork! ok, yes, you can wear your shawl to the opera or the museum, but you can also wear it just to stave off a little winter chill...or just to FEEL fancy. it's like wearing lace undies..no one (or hardly anyone) knows how fancy they are...and damn it, you're worth it! btw, do you know of anyone who has made that little beaded do-hickey they show on the stole in the book? that looks like it would be fun to make.

20/9/05 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I've always wanted to knit something with Kidsilk.

20/9/05 8:38 PM  
Blogger Julia (MindofWinter) said...

That's so funny - I was about to comment that I wear Birch (which I made for my wedding) as a scarf. Although these pieces are beautiful and dainty, you have to wear them like they aren't if you're going to get any use out of them. I've only worn Birch as a shawl once - at the wedding. The rest of the time it gets yanked around my neck to keep me warm in the snow, etc. Kidsilk is strong - it will hold up to the challenge. Yours looks great!

22/9/05 1:54 PM  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

It's beautiful and you chose a really lovely colour too. I've been wondering where or when I'm going to wear mine, too. I thought it would be handy to give as a special gift to someone (so that they could then wonder where/when they were going to wear it). Well, I think it could be used to fling over your shoulders casually or as you're wearing it in the photo as a scarf and you could look 'je suis belle et ça ne demande aucun effort' as it says on the Knitty Online blurb with reference to the clapotis which is worn by the French in such a way as to appear 'beautiful without even trying'!

26/9/05 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home