11.08.2005

Back and rested

And posting should be back to normal. I won't bore you with vacation details, but I am uploading all the pics right now on flickr if you are interested. To sum it up: there wasn't much knitting done, we somehow became morning people, Boston was nice until a bird crapped on me (stupid bird!), Sudoku took up our free time, Providence is kinda boring, the whole vacation was great, but at the same time it's nice to be home.

phew, ok now on to knitting. Like I said I didn't do much knitting while away. I had good intentions, I packed three projects up, but for some reason I just never whipped them out. I did manage to finish a couple of things in the car ride back, nothing too exciting though.



Pattern: Elf Cap from Handknit Holidays
Yarn: Rowan Ribbon Twist
Needles: Addi US 17 circs
Date Started/Finished: 10.27.05

I like to test a book by finding an "easy" pattern and knitting it up to see how the pattern is written and if there are any mistakes. So far so good. It was hard to pick a hat since almost every hat in the book looks the same (ie pointy top with or without earflaps). This was a quick, fun pattern though I wouldn't have chosen this yarn if I had any other bulky yarn in my stash (the ribbons look a little weird to me). This hat must have taken an hour to knit so definately a good choice for the gift giving season. Will I ever wear this? I'll keep you updated on this front.



Pattern: My own
Yarn: Diakeito Diamusee
Needles: US 7 dpns
Date Started/Finished: 11.05.05

I should name this hat "the bf's mom really wants grandkids earflap hat". I originally intended on this being an adult hat, but little old me didn't realize how many stitches I casted on or rather how many I didn't cast on. As I was knitting this in the car, I wondered how small/big my head really was and thought I was going crazy. I knew it wouldn't fit, but I kept knitting anyway because it was really cute and I loved how the colors and stripes ended up. It's a really sweet hat for a kid. Do I know any kids? Nope. Do I plan on having kids any time soon? NO! Apparently the BF's mom didn't get this memo; when she saw the hat she said "aww what a cute kid hat! We'll save it and in a couple of years I'll remind you to take it out for a little someone". WTH! What little someone? I really hope there's a midget or elf in the family that I don't know about it.


Poor woman, she doesn't know that neither one of us wants one of those "kids". Nope, don't want any of that. I just smiled back and stuffed the hat in my bag. Any chance she'll forget about it? The best part was telling the bf about what his mom said. I think he threw up a little and then went into shock for a little while.

Anyway, if you like the pattern then email me and I can send it to you (though I still need to type it out).

7 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

Both hats are so cute! I chuckled at bf’s mother’s comment…I have a number of friends with mother-in-laws like that!

8/11/05 1:57 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Glad to hear you are rested & relaxed!

Sorry about the bird! That happened to me once too. Damn birds!!

Your hats look great! I just bought handknit holidays as well. I love quite a few of the patterns but I haven't decided which to knit up first.

I really like your idea of an "easy test pattern"! Very Clever!!

8/11/05 2:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

The hats are adorable!

I'm so glad that I'm not getting any of that sort of pressure. I think my parents are already afraid that they have raised freaks who will never marry, so think it best to stay far away from the grandchildren discussion.

8/11/05 3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupid bird!!!

8/11/05 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww! Those hats are so cute, and I know they'll look adorable atop someone's little head. Whose head? Dunno :).

8/11/05 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute hats! I should learn to check your blog after I seen new pictures on flickr so I don't ask dumb questions like "what yarn is that?"

The chance that she'll forget the kids thing, unlikely. You should have said it was a gift!

8/11/05 5:52 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I may have to get Handknit Holidays now, since that hat is so cute! And I love yours too, and the yarn, of course.

I'm reminded of a family dinner with my ex-boyfriend where his mom told her married daughter that she wanted kids and then looked at me -- but not from you! (She meant not yet, since we were in college.) We didn't end up having kids, obviously, but I think she became a grandparent.

My parents and my MIL like my kids and all but we've never had pressure to have any. I guess we're just lucky that way.

9/11/05 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home