11.18.2005

C'est fini le crapotee

Pattern: Clapotis
Yarn: HPY lace pure wool triple stranded in Oceanos
Needles: 5mm (US 8) vintage plastic Boyes
Date Started: 11.09.05
Date Finished: 11.17.05

So does me finally knitting this mean this pattern is dead? Am I officially the last knitter that will work on this until it becomes retro and hip to knit it again? While knitting this I thought I would never finish it, section three became a black hole where I kept going and going and never seeing the end. It felt a lot longer than it actually took, I guess eight days isn't too bad. Not talking about it made things go faster, though I'm glad it's over!

There isn't too much left to say about this pattern right? I wish someone had warned me how monotonous this was going to get though. I've noticed that most people changed the number of increases and decreases, but, for some reason, I did the whole thing. My gauge was 5spi resulting in a long, warm stole, if not a shawl. Pre-blocking the measurements were 18"x58", but after washing it I was able to stretch it out to 20"x60-something" (my ruler doesn't go that long!). It's still drying, but I'm hoping it plumps up a little again. I'm just letting it dry flat on a towel, no pinning this time, which I think will help.

Since there's not much to say about the pattern, let's talk yarn. I was worried that using a worsted weight yarn would be too heavy and I'm glad I went with my instinct. Triple stranding the yarn helped me keep things light while still getting the size, drape, and warmth I wanted. Tripling also helped keep any true color pooling at bay. I had heard of a lot of people buying HPY lace, but I really didn't find anyone knitting it up yet (hoarders!). I'm glad to say that my yarn didn't reek of vinegar, wasn't wet, and wasn't felted. My skeins had a soft halo and the colors had a pretty sheen to them. The colors even matched what I saw on my monitor! I didn't see any color bleeding when I dunked le clap into it's bath. Actually, nothing really happened in the bath, the yarn basically came out the same (which is always a good thing).

On a side note, I switched from Eucalan to Kookaburra and can I say how much better I like it? The smell alone was better, it has a cool little measuring reservoir, and it felt like it was actually softening up the wool. Eucalan never really did anything for me and it didn't suds up enough to feel like it was really cleaning anything. Kookaburra gets my suds quota approval.

One gift done! I'll be taking a break this weekend to knit stuff up for moi until holiday knitting starts up again for mi mama. I'm sure I'll complain about how long that ones takes as well. Till then I have some socks and a boring hat to entertain me.

14 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I'm so glad you are done with the clap. It looks great! Your MIL will love it.

Kat made a Birch out of the lace weight handpainted yarn.

http://pinkurocks.typepad.com/pinku/2005/11/birch.html

It looks really great.

18/11/05 5:41 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Can I be more repetitive? Argh.

18/11/05 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great, I love that colorway! I *still* haven't knit a Crapotee, I'm waiting for it to be really, truly dead before I cast on (in 2009, ahem). By the way, in my latest blog entry the purplish-scarf I'm knitting - HPY laceweight. So there you have it! I'm not hoarding, no sirreebob :).

18/11/05 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woooohooooo.. don't worry, I'm the last one. I'm still knitting mine. Well, not really knitting it at this moment, but it's not done yet.

18/11/05 6:38 PM  
Blogger B's Momma said...

I love the colors of yours, I'm knitting mine right now...a scarf version. Couldn't commit to a full version.

18/11/05 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still haven't knit clapotis. And I actually want to. I guess I'll be the last knitter in knitting blogland to knit it. Good to know about the yarn and the Kookaburra. I never really understood the whole eucalan craze. I have a theory that it actually makes yarn bleed. I'm more of a woolite kind of girl.

18/11/05 8:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it looks lovely. I haven't knit one yet, although I'm sure I've got yarn in the stash for it. I've heard of its monotony which is why I haven't tried it out.

18/11/05 9:07 PM  
Blogger Atouria said...

I never get tired of seeing other people's clapotis! I can assure you that you aren't the last knitter in cyberspace to knit one. I STILL have this thing on my 'to knit' list!

18/11/05 10:14 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Woooooo-hoooo!!! You're done!!! Wow, that was really fast. It looks *great* and will be an absolutely lovely gift! Thanks for the info about Kookaburra. I'll have to try it because I'm not particularly fond of the Eucalan smell.

19/11/05 11:29 AM  
Blogger Julsey said...

YAY for Yahaira! You bit on the crapotee craze. It is really gorgeous - it'll be a hit! I am dreading starting another one...Thanksgiving's keeping me away from knitting this weekend. BOO!

19/11/05 3:59 PM  
Blogger laura said...

The Clapotis looks great, I love the yarn too. I am making one for my mother for Christmas so you're definitely not the last one making it.

20/11/05 10:35 AM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

i am one of the few knitting peeps who not only hasn't made this damn thing, but who just doesn't GET it. i mean, what is the big deal anyway? and what the heck is a clapotis anyway? it sounds like some kind of affliction. BUT. i gotta say, you have made even a crapotee non-devotee sit up and take notice. i mean, i love the way you just ever-so-non-clapotily toss it over your shoulder. not that i'm gonna go crazy and make one or anything. but yours is very nice. there. i said it.

20/11/05 6:39 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i'm about to finish my mom's clapotis, and i only recently knit one for myself. i must admit, i get a kick out of dropping the stitches. but i'm a simpleton!

anyway, yours is just lovely!

i've been mixing up my gift knitting and my 'me' knitting, and it definitely makes things more palatable.

21/11/05 12:00 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Nah the pattern isn't dead yet until I knit it...I am way behind on the hip knitting scene. But once I'm finished with this show I'll be looking for the right yarn to make this with!

21/11/05 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home