11.17.2005

Halting progress

I've been getting hints lately from the old bf that he needs a new hat soon and I, like the nice girlfriend I am, have been ignoring them. I smile and nod and figure he can wait till 2006 or '07. The hints have been coming in more frequently and an unfortunate, self-inflicted haircut has made the matter more dire (he has since remedied the hair fiasco by cutting it all off). Apparently boyfriend here doesn't read this blog, is on crack, or a combination of both, how else do you explain him thinking I could add another project to the queue that isn't for me?

After the "haircut", I let him go through my stash and pick out some yarns he would like and was happy when I saw him look at more than one color. I started picturing a fair-isle or intarsia hat, earflaps even!

Nope, he just wants stripes and no earflaps. Ok, so simple ribbed hat? No, no ribbing...anywhere. I see.

So he kept going on with what he wanted. A straight stockinette hat, with two thin stripes knit with a tight gauge AND it has to cover the ears completely. No air should get through. umm ok

I'm thinking boring. I perked up though when I figured out this could be a good chance to try out some new technique. He keeps emphasizing where he wants the hat to hit, so why don't I knit the hat from the top down so he can keep trying it on? Top down? Then, why don't I try a new cast on? A hat is basically a big sock or an upside down bag right? This should be easy.

I know that I basically have to start with a certain number of stiches (8) and start increasing rapidly at first, each subsequent increase needs to get slower and slower till what I have covers the crown. From there I can just knit even till his majesty is happy with the length. The fun part is in picking out how I will cast on.

With my trusty scrap yarn, I first tried out the turkish cast on. As you can see, I didn't really get far into it. It got really annoying needing two circs and switching back and forth between them. I also didn't like how the cast on row looked so we moved on.

I then moved on to working with dpn's, with the idea that I would switch to a 16" circ when I had enough stitches. This could work, but I can't stand that hole in the middle. Sure I could just pull the yarn tight and close it or knit something to cover it, but I doubt boring boy wants some sort of pom-pom on top of his hat. Next!

Ah, my old best friends, figure-8 a la magic loop. That's the ticket. I don't know why I was denying myself, I knew this is how I wanted to do it. All I would have to do is pull those first stitches tight, no holes to hide or embellishments to add. hrm, it does look suspiciously like a sock though.

Here's a shout out to my Jewish friends. You can see a spiral pattern from the increases in this yarmulke, hrm, I mean hat. It must be working, I just have to get crack-boy to approve the gauge. I swear that if he was a knitter he would only knit socks. Very tight socks. On 1.5mm's.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, he is so boring. And so demanding. And so picky. But you love him, so what are you going to do?

And, at least you know what works for you, so you don't have to waste time in the future.

17/11/05 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But.. but.. but, what about the clap? UGH! Boyfriends = knitting party poopers

17/11/05 7:06 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

When you said old boyfriend I thought at first you were knitting for your ex. I'm impressed with your amazing skills with the magic loop.

17/11/05 7:21 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

So now you are feeling my pain!! Isaac's hat is on the backburner til I finish my scalloped bag! HA!

Oh & you know that Isaac actually knew how to knit before me b/c one of his projects in hebrew school was knitting his own yarmulke!!

17/11/05 8:16 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It's a male thing. My husband had finally decided that he'd like a scarf, but it needs to be very tightly knit, and in thin yarn. It's going to take me a year...

17/11/05 10:13 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Good for you for trying a new technique! The hat looks good so far! I think it's sweet that he wants you to knit him a hat. =) And gray and orange are a great combo!

17/11/05 11:34 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

Wow your boyfriend is quite the stash buster. Awesome cast on you got there. Figure 8 cast ons drive me insane (in the brain).

17/11/05 11:46 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

it hard to knit for boyfriends... or just boys in general! i've been making a had for my boy too, but i am learning lots of new techniques from your blog. thanks!

18/11/05 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job figuring out the cast on. The increases look great so far. Hey, at least he didn't go out and *buy* and knit hat!

18/11/05 9:32 AM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

Hehe... I'm in "knit him a hat" mode too, but I'm lucky he's not so picky so far, so it's gonna be a bulky yarn and 6mm needles hat ! Shouldn't take too long... :-D

18/11/05 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great post on top-down hat techniques. I am looking to do something similar for my boyfriend. Here is another blog page you might find interesting: http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/494. This idea looks like it fixes the "hole" problem that you ran into without the "sock" look. Cheers!

18/11/05 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home