11.08.2005

Bulky Mini Cardigan

Pattern: Bulky Mini Cardigan
Yarn: Bulky 6-ply Merino in emerald and some random Italian wool (Botto Poala) in chocolate brown
Needles: US 11 and 9 Addi circs (8mm, 5.5mm)
Date Started: 10.16.05
Date Finished: 11.07.05

This was an enjoyable knit through and through and I'm sure that it will quickly become one of my favorite knits (I haven't taken it off since I took the picture). The dates are misleading, I ran out of yarn before I finished the sleeves and I had to wait for it to arrive (and I only ended up needing one ounce of yarn!).


I modded this pattern just a bit (out of necessity though). I couldn't achieve the required pattern gauge, so I changed the pattern to fit my gauge (3.5spi vs 2.5spi). This really just means multiplying the pattern with my stitch ratio and trying it on a few times before I split the sleeves. It also means making sure the decrease were hitting in the right spots. I shortened the sleeves by a few rows and I knit them in the round (magic loop). I also knit a half size, if that makes any sense. I think I could have gone even smaller, I like my sweaters small and I've lost a few pounds since I started this. I'll keep this in mind the next time I knit this.

The pattern is well written and is definately quick to knit. I can see myself using it as a mold to make a full-size cardigan. The merino is extremely soft and warm, perfect for this slow starting fall. I don't feel like I'm wearing something heavy, though I'm nice and toasty when I go out. The bf picked out the buttons while we were in Boston when I dragged him to Windsor Button. Now he thinks himself fashionable because he can match colors.

15 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

It looks really cute! I like the colors. I've been thinking about the Bulky Cardigan as well.

8/11/05 1:53 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Lovely as always!! The bf did a good job on the buttons! I really like them!

8/11/05 2:54 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

It looks really great on you. I'll confess that the pattern was never one of my favorites, but yours turned out so well!

8/11/05 3:10 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Er, that sounded like a backhanded compliment. What I meant was that yours turned out so well, that you've changed my mind. You know what I mean!

8/11/05 3:11 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

That looks great on you, on me, I think I'd look like a torpedo launcher with these big boobs! hehee

8/11/05 4:07 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i REALLY love it, especially the color selection and buttons! so sad that you had to wait for that yarn tho. what a pain!

i also love the cute hats. i haven't knit anything from that book yet, though i'm tempted by the knee socks.

sorry about the bird -- that happened two me twice in one summer. they say it's good luck, but c'mon! how can it be?

8/11/05 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! It worked out. I'm so glad you were able to get this figured out and ended up so happy with it!

8/11/05 4:53 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

I just love Glampyre's designs and the italian merino looks so soft! Have you noticed nothing (no matter how hard we try to swear them off)? We are obsessed with our "minis" and "shrugs" and "boleros"! They are so much fun :) This looks great on you! I'd be happy to GTG and switch to socks some time :)

8/11/05 6:24 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

I meant "nothing is a full sweater this season"...sorry that backspace button got the best of me...

8/11/05 6:25 PM  
Blogger winnie said...

girl it looks good on you. pretty buttons too. i feel like i am gradually sucked in to make one myself

9/11/05 12:37 AM  
Blogger Laura.Y said...

That is cute! :)

9/11/05 1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fabulous... extremely cute.

9/11/05 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the color! I hadn't given this pattern much thought but yours has made me think I might have been a bit hasty.

Too cute!

9/11/05 7:00 PM  
Blogger yuvee said...

It looks super cute on you!

10/11/05 10:25 AM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

This is probably the nicest version of it I've seen so far. Is it the yarn, your mods, the buttons.. ot just the fab model..?! ;-)
Love the flared sleeves too.

11/11/05 5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home