11.15.2005

I lied!

But I didn't mean to.

In my last post, when quickly explaining two socks at once, I said that you need to cast on for one sock, place that one on hold, and then cast on for the second one. Well, why? This really kept bugging me, why can't you just cast on for both at once? I didn't read a tutorial on this before I started, but Angela later found one here (toe-up, figure 8 co) and here (mostly about the heels).

It was bugging me so much that I decided to try it out. I grabbed two skeins of leftover yarn and some 5mm circs. They are 24" so the example isn't perfect, but it will do.

Alrighty, two skeins, one needle, and figure 8 cast on twice. So far so good. I had 24 sts per "sock". I was still worried though about the first two rows of knitting. How would the awaiting red sock do while I was knitting the top of the purple one? And how would both bottom rows handle just hanging out on the cord?

Guess what, it works fine! Two socks cast on at the same time: done. Admittedly not the most beautiful toes, I didn't tighten the stitches and I squished the two socks for the picture, but you get the idea. Now I wonder if this would work with a short row toe.

eta: Here is one of my favorite figure-8 cast on tutorials.

10 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

It looks cool. Does this save time?

15/11/05 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel so lazy now! I still haven't posted or attempted to do any tutorials. Is this why you haven't worked on your socks since Sunday? tsk, tsk.. jk. BTW, your yarn is a lot darker than mine.

15/11/05 5:18 PM  
Blogger verasunshyne said...

I need to learn socks. . .
I read your blog and commented.

15/11/05 7:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I need to learn how to knit socks on a circular needle. This tutorial convinces me that it needs to be done.

16/11/05 10:01 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

How cool!!

16/11/05 10:04 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I think you are going to bring me to the "darkside" of the magic loop! ;)

What great info! Thanks!!

16/11/05 12:56 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

that works great for toe-up socks but i'm wondering about casting on for top-down socks! hhmmmmm...

16/11/05 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man, that is the coolest idea ever. Stupid question, but does this mean that you can keep going & keep knitting the two socks like that at once, or will they get too wide for the needles? Does that make sense??

What are the short socks that I've seen you make? I just got a bunch of sock yarn & don't think I have enough for taller socks..

16/11/05 3:27 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

That looks great! After knitting my first pair of socks, I understand the joy that would be knitting two at a time. And now, starting them both at the same time. I may have to try that.

17/11/05 12:41 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Hey thanks for the mini tutorial! I'm still working on the two circ method, after that I am going full ahead to magic loop.

17/11/05 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home