11.21.2005

A quick post for a quick knit

All that talk about knitting socks and a hat this weekend and ignoring holiday knits, well you can forget all that. To tell you the truth, there was almost no knitting done this weekend. Can you imagine that, a weekend without knitting?! (collective gasp!) I did work on the hat a bit last night since I kept getting the puppy eyes from the boy, but other than that all I have to show for my weekend is this super-mega-quick project.


Pattern:
City Shawl
Yarn: Suss Cousins Nubbly Wool/Acrylic
Needles: Addi Turbos 12mm (US 17)
Date Started: 11.09.05
Date Finished: 11.09.05

I told you this was a quick knit, of course I cheated a bit by using 17's vs 15's and I made the shawl smaller than suggested. I hope I made my calculations right since this is going to someone who is 5" tall on a good day and weighs maybe 90lbs soaking wet. I guess I'm asking you not to judge the shawl from my pictures, since it looks tiny on me and I'm sick (hence the weird pics with messy hair). My finished dimesions were around 3'x3' or 4'x3', do you think this will wrap around correctly on such a small person?

The pattern? A shawl in a day is always a winner with me. Who doesn't like instant gratification?! Especially when it's a x-mas gift. You could definitely crank out a few of these the week before x-mas and just make them all look different by the yarns you use. You could also adapt the pattern however you like since really there's only two "sections" you work in.

I can't stand the feel of chenille, so I used some random yarn that was in my stash. All I know about is that it's from one of those Suss Cousins' learn to knit kits, it's 50% wool/50% acrylic, and that I payed a dollar for the yarn alone. I think a dollar is on the high side with this yarn (it's from the purse kit apparently); at first it was soft and nice, but eventually my hands started to sweat and itch. Sweaty palms are sexy on no one, trust me. Just thinking about it is making my hands sweat again. I washed it and it feels a little better now, but I feel sorry for anyone who buys those kits for twenty dollars or more. I do feel kind of bad that I only spent a dollar and less than a day on this, so I'm sure I'll buy a pretty pin to go along with this. For now, I'm going to drink some tea to get over what I'm sure is the bird flu and perhaps make an appointment for a haircut.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you got one present done! How is that not productive? Are you sure you don't want to make these for everyone? ;)

Hope you feel better. Take some airborne and put the boy to work!

21/11/05 5:33 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The shawl looks very nice, and you used stash yarn which is always a plus. I like the look of it! I don't like working with chenille either.

21/11/05 7:27 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I hate it when my hands sweat while knitting! Ugh!

Well done to knock off one x-mas gift!! You will have them all done in no time!

21/11/05 7:47 PM  
Blogger verasunshyne said...

The shawl looks great! I'm sure it will fit nicely, especially with a pretty pin!

21/11/05 7:55 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

You probably have anthrax. I sent it over to you in the last e-mail. ;)

I like that shawl, and I think I'll make one for my aunt. She's a shawl kind of woman, and she knits so she'll appreciate it.

Feel better soon!!!

22/11/05 12:17 AM  
Blogger kris said...

my guess is ebola. either that, or it's just a reaction from knitting a supercute, one dollar shawl in one day.

hope you feel better soon, in any case!

22/11/05 9:11 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

The shawl looks great! Yay for projects that can be done in a day! Hope you feel better soon, and that you have none of the illnesses mentioned above!

22/11/05 10:17 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

perhaps you could make cards for your other gift recipients saying, "I couldn't finish knittng your present, seeing as I have been quarantined and can't get to yarn stores."

the shawl looks great! it's the first finished one that i've seen, aside from stefanie's. and the price is right.

22/11/05 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Eunny, it's got to be smallpox. Or polio. There was an outbreak up in Michigan recently.

Cute shawl. Don't feel bad that it was only a day and a dollar.

22/11/05 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home