12.09.2005

Birch Interrupted

What was I thinking? "Oh look, I have all this time in bed, why don't I finish up my xmas knitting by working on my mom's gift? How hard could it be!?" Yeah, never take advice from someone on codeine, especially if the person giving the advice is yourself.

It started innocently enough and, as always, I had the best intentions. Of course I wouldn't be in this predicament if I had started knitting when I got the yarn. My mom and I had consultation phone calls about what to knit for her gift. For some reason I was the one pushing the shawl idea. I guess I really wanted to knit one, but, knowing that I would never wear one, I wanted the chance to pass it on to someone else. She agreed, but then started worrying about color. "Remember I'm a winter!" she said. How could I forget? We got 'typed' when I was four or five, well really she got typed and I sorta walked in on the class (there was a class on this people!) and was immediately picked by the teacher as an example of spring (I think I was the only spring in the room for some reason). My mom still has the little book of color swatches for her 'type' (hmm, I'm starting to think something like that would be handy at the lys), which I'm guessing she refers to for something? Anyway, I digress, Ms Winter wanted something neutral, not too dark, and it had to look good on her. Well, thanks for the advice! I did a little further research into this "winter" matter and ordered my yarn. In the meantime I did a swatch.

Look! It's a 29 stitch Birch, awww!

I was all set to go and even started a couple of weeks ago, but then I wanted to finish other things, Thanksgiving came around, and the whole tooth drama kinda got in the way. This was the week I was finally going to put a big dent in it and get it ready for xmas.

Umm, this is as far as I got before all the mistakes drove me bonkers. Eventhough I memorized the pattern, nothing seemed to line up. Maybe I memorized some other pattern, who knows, but this wasn't working. The needles weren't helping, stupid non-pointy clovers. I was ready to scream everytime the yarn got stuck in the needle join. I obviously didn't have the right knitting mojo for this, at least not this week. So I said bye-bye to the 299 stitches. This works out anyway, I really didn't like my cast on (too messy) and I think I was doing the p2togtbl wrong (stupid pain killers). I needed something mindless, but still shawl like for my winter mom. Bring in Ella.

Doesn't it look like a face, with the lips pursed?

I'll admit that I didn't fall in love with Ella the first time I saw it or even the second time. I wasn't a fan of the color choice in the pictures and I didn't really like the bat wings err v- shape of the design. At times of need beggars can't be choosers. I looked through the pattern and it's easy enough to memorize, very much like crapotee (which worries me, is this going to be just as boring?). Throw in a different yarn choice and get rid of that V, and you have something I actually like. I just have to figure out how many times to repeat section 2 to get a nice size. As it's written, you knit this section a total of three times to get somewhere around 30" (240 sts). I'm guessing if I continue with it two to three more times (or until I run out of yarn) I should have a nice triangle shawl. Any guesses? Did I mention my mom arrives on the 22nd?

13 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I like the color you've chosen. It will look very nice on a winter.

I have no thoughts on the mod, as I haven't knit that pattern. I do like it though, and birch... well that's a lot of stitches to try to find the mistakes.

9/12/05 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee, I love that colors/seasons shit. I'm a soft autumn. I have the book and color swatches too. I'm a big dork. Although I didn't get it done back in the 80s cause my mom was too much of a hippie. Of course, when I got the book some years back, she was first in line to have me figure out what season she is. And yes, the book o swatches is pretty helpful at the yarn store.

But, back to the shawl. Bummer about birch. That sucks. But Ella is pretty. I think it is basically the same pattern as the Rebecca wrap I'm working on. And I think your idea on how to turn it into a shawl is a sound one.

9/12/05 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the intense shawl knitting. I just realized I f-ed up my SIL's crapotee for her holiday gift. Don't know what to do to fix it...

9/12/05 11:59 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

I have an idea. Take the mini Birch and attach it to a card and on the inside say something like: Here's a mini shawl for you to wear while I'm finishing the big one! Or, "See what happens when I don't get gauge HAHAHA IOU" or something equally cheesy (and cute at the same time).

You sure are a lace adventurer. I can never memorize those patterns. There's something wrong with the lace knitting part of my brain. It's probably all the dental surgery... no wait, that's you.

10/12/05 12:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I begin to like Ella after I saw your version. I think it will look very nice after blocking. Casting on two hundred stitches for a shawl is really insane, that's why I gave up and go with the easy kiri.

10/12/05 2:00 AM  
Blogger Julsey said...

Chugga chugga chugga chugga....(some motivational train-like sounds to keep you going!). don't worry about the 22nd - let the boy keep her busy until you're done. Hide in your room under the covers with Ella. It'll all work out, I promise!!!

10/12/05 8:59 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

we just watched michael moore's "roger and me," and a woman did his colors. i think he was a spring?

i like ella, but i got no words of wisdom about modifying it.

10/12/05 11:05 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Color Me Beautiful! I have no idea what season I am, but I remember what a wacky trend that was.

The new shawl is looking good. It doesn't look at all like a swarm of flies, like I was worried about. I'm sorry I have no advice for you!

p.s. my earthlink email is down again grr...

10/12/05 11:25 AM  
Blogger winnie said...

Oi...that yarn looks scrumptious as ella. Hope to see this one work out and NOT suffer the fate of birch. bee-u-ti-ful.....

11/12/05 1:03 AM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

Didn't realise I liked that Ella as well. Are you nearly finished yet, you speedy gonzalez knitter ..? ;-) (and pleazzze don't take it ironic cause it's certainly all but that !!)
Still hesitating over the Angelica pattern as well, it looks just beautiful but not the kind I'd wear..
Take care, is your mouth healing well ?

12/12/05 2:38 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

I think that Birch is going to look great after blocking...now you've got me scared to try my first lace project - the flower basket shawl, I've got the pattern and the yarn, now I need to gather the guts!

12/12/05 2:01 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I keep thinking this post is title Bitch Interrupted, which cracks me up!

12/12/05 6:54 PM  
Blogger verasunshyne said...

the 22nd? ha! good luck!

13/12/05 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home