1.05.2006

A belated post

After all the holidays, all the family, all the eating, and all the marriage pressure I needed a little decompressing time if you will. I'm finally back and well rested. I was hoping to show you all the fabulous projects I finished while away, but, truth be told, I didn't pick up my needles. I tried, but I just didn't feel like it. Perhaps it was all the commotion and stress that comes with hanging out with both my parents and the boyfriend's parents 24/7. I was tired or busy. Luckily for xmas I did receive some fiber goodness and a spindle; I love having something to ignore people with. My boyfriend's mom picked up a spindle and roving while in Nova Scotia this summer for me, who knew. I don't know anything about the spindle (uhh it's made out of wood) or roving (so it's wool and white) and apparently nothing about spinning.

When I unwrapped my gift I immediately had visions of all the fabulous yarn I would spin and knit up, but more importantly I imagined all the roving I would get to buy. After reading the one sheet this kit came with and some googling this is what I came up with:

I obviously have no clue what I'm doing. It's my first yarn though (can I even call it yarn?) so I love all it's "overspun and not spun at all' character. I'm sure somewhere I could get 20 bucks for it. Or maybe 10?

19 Comments:

Blogger KnittenKnots said...

A spindle and some roving - what a thoughtful gift. :-) Looks pretty good for a first time to me...

5/1/06 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easily $40.

5/1/06 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun! Lots of ppl are starting to learn how to spin. I should go on a fiber diet to prevent me from learning how to, too. Happy New Year!

5/1/06 3:07 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Happy New Year, Yahaira! How neat that we’re both learning how to spin!! My first attempt looked like that too. Some parts were so overspun they were kinky, and other parts clearly weren’t spun at all. But it’s fun! And the spindle and roving were indeed thoughtful gifts from your BF’s mother!

5/1/06 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe... it's really charming. Yes, you can get $10 for it wherever Colinette is sold.

5/1/06 4:50 PM  
Blogger verasunshyne said...

I think it's darling!! I would keep it for decoration, and for ssentimental value. . .that sure is a thoughtful gift!

5/1/06 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it, love it! Good for you for trying something new! I haven't tried spinning yet... I'm totally afraid it will become a new addiction and I'm totally satisfied with my current ones (for the time being)... Welcome back to blogland ;-)

5/1/06 6:37 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

It looks exactly like my first yarn! I'm spinning a *little* bit more now...and the yarn isn't so wonky...but still, it has no real gauge...Don't give up!

5/1/06 6:58 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey! It looks pretty good for a first attempt!

5/1/06 7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey that looks GREAT! I love thin & thick yarn!

argh for pressure for marriage! isn't that the worst?! when we went to boston it was all "baby? baby baby baby? wedding? wedding wedding wedding? house? house house house?" it's stressful & annoying but I'm very glad you are back!

5/1/06 7:43 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

haha! all you need to do is dye it into self striping yarn ala Eunny's tutorial, and you got yourself a space to sell on kpixie! I'd love a spindle...but I'm happy with my ball winder and swift!

5/1/06 8:58 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

What a thoughtful gift! I think your yarn looks great -- I've definitely seen yarn like that sold (I'm going to spare the "company" I'm thinking of any bad publicity but their stuff is sold on kpixie and I think it's awful. Anyway, I love yours, especially being so perfectly white!

5/1/06 9:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm with Grumperina on this - looks like undyed Point 5 to me. You can market that: "Dye your own Colinette!" and make a fortune.

5/1/06 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very thoughtful gift. I just ordered one as a gift to myself. It came today. Woot!

5/1/06 10:26 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i think it's a mahvelous first attempt. what a great gift!

i'm with jeanie, though. i have enough hobbie. can't afford (in money or time) any more hobbies...

6/1/06 1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They sell yarn just like this, I kid you not. Sprinkle some koolaid and you're ready to make a profit. How fun! Glad you're back.

6/1/06 12:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish my mother-in-law would come up with such a great gift! You're first yarn looks better then my first swatch.

6/1/06 6:36 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

That's about what my first yarn looked like. And the second, and third. Yeah-I need practice

6/1/06 8:11 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Hey there, that yarn looks like my first handspun! Keep spinning it gets better and better!!

7/1/06 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home