11.29.2005

A holiday miracle!

oh no, it's just a hat.


Pattern: Vanilla Bean Hat (ie my own top-down pattern)
Yarn: Cascade 220 in grey and Elann Peruvian Higland Wool in Pumpkin
Needles: US 7 and 8 (4.5 and 5mm) 16" Addi Turbos
Date Started: 11.17.05
Date Finished: 11.24.05

It's finally done! And what happens when it's done? The weather warms up again. But that's ok, this will be worn soon, I'll make sure of that. With all my complaining, this hat really only took a few hours, it's just that I never sat down to focus on it except when watching animes with the boy. I think this was a big mistake because I left myself open (or was I stuck?) to get design ideas.

He's a very specific one, this boy. The original specs were tight, long enough to cover the ears, with a one inch wide orange stripe followed by 3/4" of grey. Mistake number one: I let him tell me when he thought it was wide enough. Boyfriend here doesn't understand the nature of knitted fabric or the concept of stretch; he made me increase a little too much since he thought the hat was small. stupid boy. The hat came out a little wide, not by too much, but this carried over to mistake number two: the hat was really long/low. All I needed to do was cut some eyeholes out and he would be the kid from Fat Albert. This wouldn't be too bad since he planned on rolling it, but it was too wide! I was very thankful for a washing machine. I just threw the hat and some Eucalan in hot water and let the machine do the work. Two cycles later, the hat is the perfect width and length. He can't complain about cold air touching his ears, damn hat is so thick. I did make a teensy third mistake, I knitted up a hem to stop the hat from rolling but in my Turkey and wine stupor forgot to whip stitch it before throwing it in the wash. Oops, he gets an extra orange stripe. The hat would be too short (for his tastes) without it, so really it can't count as a mistake, right?

In other news, I finished the first half of Backyard Leaves over the long weekend. This is one of those projects that you can use to impress everyone with your mad skills, if you are into that sorta thing. Anytime I whipped this out to quickly knit up a repeat I heard gasps and I could definitely sense some jealousy. Maybe not, but you weren't there so you don't know. I'm still in love with the pattern, which is a good thing since now I have to do the whole thing over again.

I'll most likely be stuck at the car dealership all day tomorrow and this little scarf will hopefully keep me in a good mood while I am being bullshitted. Let's just say I'm starting to hate cars, especially American ones.

eta: Carrie and I started a kal for Stef's new pattern for HipKnits. Neither of us has the yarn and probably won't start till after the holidays, so feel free to join us anytime to knit this little beauty. We can figure out yarn subs for the next month at least.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say that the hat looked felted. Now you have time for more fancy and fun things!

29/11/05 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I love it!
Howd you like that yarn? I was kinda paranoid giving it to you because well, I wasn't sure if the yarn was good or not! I'm terrible at getting gifts for friends, but at least the color is nice!!

29/11/05 9:18 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

Hey Y!

That hat looks great - I love that you felted it! Show us an action shot of the boy modeling it for us, will ya?

In regards to the Angelica - silk sounds so luxurious...you may tempt me to join. But definitely not until after the holidays! I just bought stef's bulky cabled sweater for my first 2006 post holiday-post Phildar phrenzy knit.

TTFN!

29/11/05 9:50 PM  
Blogger Atouria said...

The hat came out really cute! It's a good thing, since it gave you so much trouble. :)

I love your backyard leaves. I need to knit something more impressive. I guess lace type work would be the way to do it!

29/11/05 10:17 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Love the hat and the story of how it came to be felted!!! =) Backyard Leaves looks great! Good luck at the car dealership.

29/11/05 10:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Very nice felted hat! It sure will be warm!

Backyard leaves is coming along quite nicely too.

I like the look of Stef's new design, but I look horrid in keyhole type necklines.

29/11/05 10:20 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Yay for the BF hat!! It looks warm & wonderful! When knitting for BF's there are no mistakes ;)

I love the backyard leaves scarf! It is quite impressive.

29/11/05 11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am lovin' the felted hat. What a great idea.

30/11/05 7:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wait - why do you have to do the scarf all over again? It looks so great. So does the hat. It turned out really cool!

30/11/05 7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new glampyre sweater! What's up with hip knits being all sold out of the yarn though? Perhaps I will join you guys in hte sub discussion.

30/11/05 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, here it is, car dealership. Sucks! Hat is cute, and I like the second orange stripe.

30/11/05 2:45 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Great hat - I actually like the second orange stripe!! Your scarf is lovely too! I have a feeling someone I know will be getting one for Xmas.

2/12/05 2:55 PM  
Blogger katie said...

i'll be joining, i love angelica!

3/12/05 11:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your backyard leaves look so awesome. I love the color you picked.

6/12/05 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home