9.01.2005

Katrina

Hurricane Andrew hit weeks before I was about to start seventh grade. I remember my family sitting on the floor of my parents' room with their mattress protecting us from the window. We listened to my little white boombox to find out what was going on outside and maybe just to hear another voice that perhaps could soothe us. My dog was so scared that she decided to hide in the closet. As the eye of the hurricane passed, it sounded as if a loud train was riding through our neighborhood. That was the longest night of my life. We didn't have water or electricity for days, but we were one of the lucky ones. Unlike all our other neighbors, nothing serious happened to our house. Our one neighbor had their roof fly off, we didn't have too much food but we helped them out as much as we could. I can't help thinking that if the hurricane had gone a couple of miles north (the center of the eye went directly over our house instead of the more dangerous wall) things could have been much worse, very much like what I have been watching on TV and reading about.

I'm sure you know about the craftrevolution sale, so if you can go buy something to help out the relief fund. Donate to the Red Cross or the fund of your choice. I'm currently looking for a charity that will accept clothes and food so that I can send a few boxes down. If I find one, then I'll let you know. I could have easily been homeless years ago, but instead all I got was an extra week or two of summer vacation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

If you find a place that takes donated clothing please do post it. I have a ton of clothes I need to get rid of and this seems like the best time to do it

1/9/05 11:57 PM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

thanks for sharing this link. I had never heard of this site before. what an awesome website, and what an awesome way to help support the victims of this crappy freak of nature!!
I posted a link to this on my blog as well.

2/9/05 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home