8.24.2005

Do I suck at socks?

Ok, you sock masters, I need your help. I'm humming along liking this sock knitting business (there I admit it, I kinda like it!) and I start turning the heel, but then I made a mistake...I started to think! Now, I believe I'm doing something wrong, but am I? This is where you come in my dears...



First, isn't it cute?! I think it's adorable, but anywho. You see that bunched up thing in the middle? That's apparrently a heel, so they say. Here you see me about to turn the work to the wrong side and wrap that stitch on the left on the middle needle. This is what the
pattern states:

·»For Large size only, change to 3mm needles. Using Main Colour, knit first 30 stitches. Slide remaining stitches onto a holder. Starting with a purl row, work 21 rows of stocking stitch, slipping the first stitch of every row. Right side is facing for next row.

· »RS: Knit 20 stitches, SKP, turn
· »WS: Slip 1, purl 10 stitches, p2tog, turn
· »RS: Slip 1, knit 10 stitches, SKP, turn
· »Repeat last two rows until all stitches have been worked. Ensure right side is facing for next row.

I've been doing this for a few rows now, but it's this "all stitches have been worked" business that is worrying me. The short rows are only worked on the stitches that are on the middle and right needles, so what happens to the lonely needle that is on the left right now? When do I work those? Do I start short rows with those stitches and those in the middle? I need help I tell ya!

Any thing I'm worried about (and sorry for the bad pic here), but what happens to all those stitches on the holder? When do I start working those? Are these the "instep"?



This is just a gratuitous shot of another project I'm working on, the skinny scarf that for some reason I don't want to finish. The colors are just too pretty and the yarn too soft to stop!


edit: this is where I stalled before I went to the gym:

Do I just knit across (and working all stitches) or did I mess up in my short rows and have to rip back?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the stitches on the holder are the instep. They will end up at spanning over the top of the foot.

The short rows should eventually work their way across all the stitches on the heel flap..at first they'll only work the middle ones, but each row should include more stitches of the heel flap.

24/8/05 5:17 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I did something wrong along the way then, because I never got to any stitches on that lone needle :(
Am I just supposed to knit across the whole thing and not worry that I didnt do any short rows with those stitches?

24/8/05 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, what Diana said. You are working a placket heel, and I've only done a few of those after a quick conversion to short-row heels, so I'm a bit confused.

But it is sure pretty!

24/8/05 6:12 PM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

I actually used the mini-sock-tutorial in knitty (recent issue, maybe spring ?) to knit my first ever sock, and it was so clear it made me feel like sock knitting wasn't so hard in the end.... Haven't knitted more yet, so I let the more skilled people help you though.
They are going to be sooo pretty!! I hope you're making them for yourself ! Pamper thee !

25/8/05 3:12 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Can't help you with the sock business. I haven't started making them yet. The bias tank is cute, and love the colors you are working with right now. That handpainted yarn is knitting up quite pretty!

25/8/05 10:01 AM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

skinny scarf... love the colors! they remind me of a box of good & plenty's! anyone remember those?

25/8/05 11:14 AM  
Blogger JustApril said...

It IS confusing the first time you do that. (so glad I started out on a baby sock) since every row on the 2 rows you repeat have decreases in them, you will start using the stitches that you 1st slipped. Those instructions ARE vague, tho, I much more prefer the ones that spell it out row by row until you get to the # you are supposed to end up with.

As for the instep stitches, once you finish the heel, you will get back to those.

Like you said, thinking is bad, just follow the instructions without thinking step by step, once you get thru a certain step (like gusset or turn heel... etc) only THEN will it make ANY sense.

So far I suck at socks too, but I am getting there.

18/10/05 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home