8.24.2005

Whipped it up


Date started: 5.14.05
Date finished: 8.24.05
Pattern: Biased Tank by Teva Durham for knit.1
Yarn: Microspun in Fuschia and Silver Grey
Needles: US 4 Crystal Palace and US 6 Susan Bates

Can you believe that I finished this? Was it a hard knit? Nope. Is it so huge that it takes forever to knit up? Not really. Then why three months on a tank?! Oh please, let me explain already. Though this is quite the easy knit, I still managed to have some trials and tribulations with it. There's the super-splitty yarn, the one side that I had to rip and reknit, the 20 stips that I had to randomly attach, the pattern with no instructions, the agonizing over to sew or not, and my total ADD with this project (really, how many things have I finished since I started this?)


I finally figured out why my gauge was so off that I had to rip, want to know why? Well, Ms. Bates defines a US 6 as 4mm, but the wacky kids over at Clover decided to tack on an extra .25mm to that (they are crazy I tell you). I promise I didn't notice this difference till last week, when I couldn't find the original needles I knitted the front with (they were on the floor, next to my desk the whole time). Can I tell you that I hate the whole US sizes thing, I'm moving to millemeters!

Alright, let's talk about this pattern. There was no real need to mod this other than for sizing, I added a row to each stripe to add an inch to the bust. I used my trusty Singer to sew up the sides and a quick and dirty whip stitch to attach all those straps. Word of warning, don't try this on before you attach all those straps. Or at least don't judge the way it looks, I really thought this was going to be the dowdiest thing on me and that it should have gone the way of a pillow. But as you attach all the straps you gather bits here and there and it finally takes some sort of shape (there's absolutely no shaping in this tank). It is a pretty heavy top when you just pick it up by the straps, but once it's on it's not that bad. I just have to figure out why right strap is a lot floppier than the left. Other than that, I guess it's kinda cute.

16 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I love that tank on you! The colors are great & the fit is really nice! Well done!

Oh & thanks for your encouragement on the rowan polar. I've decided to go with it. It looks like I will be able to get gauge with 11's but I'm going to try a swatch tonight!

24/8/05 6:13 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

What a scary story! Now I'm going to have to look at all my needle sizes! The tank looks great, though.

24/8/05 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks so cute!

24/8/05 8:42 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I think it looks great!

24/8/05 11:05 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

It's so pretty! Good for you for finally finishing it! I also love how the colours work together. Yay another thing done! :D

24/8/05 11:07 PM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

Really nice, and suits you well too !
I've already noticed several times the US/mm needles conversions could be different depending on where you looked.. Scary, huh ?

25/8/05 3:15 AM  
Blogger kris said...

wahey! that looks soooo god! i love the colours.

ok, i'm going to finish mine now. i did exactly what you say not to and tried it on without straps. the horror! i was ready to frog!

25/8/05 7:21 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

It's really great! I love the tie at the waist.

25/8/05 7:59 AM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

Very cool!! It fits you very well! YOU HOT MAMA!
The colors are perfect, they really suit the design. You did a beautiful job.
I had never heard of knit.1 mag!!! I have to find a copy! Hope the subscriptions services come soon!

25/8/05 11:22 AM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

oh.... and just this weekend, my BF's mother & I were having the F**K the US sizing conversation! It's a waste of time.

25/8/05 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh! that looks awesome! :O i love how those colors go together.

25/8/05 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally adorable. The grey and pink are perfect!

25/8/05 1:41 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i think it's totally cute! and the color combo for some reason reminds me of something they would have worn on fame -- and i mean that as a total compliment! the tie is to die for. Totally worth the headaches, imo.

25/8/05 4:02 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

and i'm sorry i used the word "totally" so many times in my comment. i guess i'm in a 1985 state of mind today.

25/8/05 4:03 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

well, congratulations. it looks fabio!

26/8/05 11:24 AM  
Blogger winnie said...

dang girl. that looks HAWT!

29/8/05 2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home