8.29.2005

Half way to the caribbean

I so wanted to blog about this on Saturday, but all of a sudden I had an unexpected (but very welcomed) house guest for the weekend. I had to run around and buy ingredients for dinner, clean up the apartment, and then actually make dinner. I guess I could have taken a quick pic, but I've found that non-knitters and non-bloggers don't really understand the random photographing of a sock. Well, here she is, the requisite one sock picture every newbie sock knitter posts.

Cute, no? Ignore the super skinny foot please! Somethings I've figured out thus far, I don't like the cable cast on method, it's just too loose for me. I'll have to use another method for the second sock. I was thinking of using smaller needles, but I can't seem to find US 1 Clovers. I know they are out there, it's just that my freaking A.C. Moore likes to skip certain sizes (I like to use my 40% off coupons on needles). I also figured out that I was saying the exact thing I was being told about short rows, but in a totally different ways. I think short rows are one of those things you need the other person there for. That said I found what my mistake was, at least what I think it was; I don't think I was doing the skp decrease on the knit side....oops.


Now I have a couple of questions. Where do you measure to when figuring out how long to make the sock? When you are decreasing for the toes and you are going to graft do you move around your stitches/needles to get the start of the around away from the middle?

Something totally unrelated, do you guys have any suggestions for vacation spots? The bf and I want to go away for a few days in October, but just can't decide where. I suggested San Francisco since I've never been out west and I think it would be fun to go there and maybe Napa Valley, but the boy isn't too sure if he wants to fly. The other suggestion I made was Providence, RI, another town I've never been to though I have no clue what we would do there. So, are there any cool towns that are big enough to explore for a few days, have good food, and aren't in Pennsylvania or New Jersey you could suggest? Or out of the two I suggested, which one would you vote for?

I know of a trip I'll be making in the next two weeks, thankfully the boy finds Alpacas really cute. Who knew I would find a farm I could buy yarn from less than an hour away?!

8 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

unfortunately, i don't know the first thing about knitting socks. one of these days i'll give it a go, but i'm scared off by needles the size of toothpicks.

as for vacations, i went west, to LA, for the first time this year and loved it. it's just so different from the east, at least it seemed that way to me.

oh -- and i keep forgetting to post what yarns i'm using. the hot lava cardy will be in yummy (but pricey) manos.

29/8/05 12:42 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Well being in a suburb of S.F. I would vote for here (plus, we have ArtFibers!) but if bf doesn't want to fly (and that does cut into your travel time), I might suggest Baltimore, Williamsburg, or my favorite, Hershey (oh, damn, that's in PA). So I'm going back to Williamsburg. I think that Busch Gardens will still be open in October, plus there is the Colonial area which I like and other places to visit. A friend of mine used to live there and work at Colonial Williamsburg so I visited pretty often. I also like Baltimore because it has the touristy places like the Aquarium and MD Science Center, but also fun areas and a good yarn store or two, I hear. Or if you want a bigger city you could just go to D.C. I grew up in D.C. and I just love it. All the museums are free and there are a lot of fun places you could see there or travel to quickly if you're interested. I can't wait to have a vacation myself! Oh, I just remembered, I also love Chincoteague and Assateague, VA. If you plan the time right, there is the swimming of the wild horses across from Assateague Island.

29/8/05 1:11 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I was going to say DC. As elspeth just said, it has a lot to offer. The Rouge Hotel sometimes has really good rates and looks like it would be a lot of fun.

29/8/05 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sock looks fabulous!

I knit all my socks toe-up, so um, I'm again no help.

The Pacific Northwest is usually quite lovely in October...

29/8/05 2:33 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Sock looks uber cute! I vote for SF too as I live in a suburb like Elspeth. I understand the whole not flying thing though.

29/8/05 6:50 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Your sock looks great! I'm thinking one of my next projects will be socks but I have the whole newbie sock knitter fears.

My husband & I are planning a trip in October too. We have been debating between San Fran & Vermont. I think we are going with Vermont (we have both been to san fran just not together).

I'm intrigued by the idea of providence!! It's on our list of places to see.

I also second & third some of the other opinions you have been given. DC is amazing. There is so much to do & lots of it is free plus if your not afraid to use public transportation it's really easy to get around.

Asheville NC was also a great suggestion! It is possibly my favorite place on earth! It is breathtaking in October & there is so much to do but at a lovely laid back pace.

I suppose it all depends on what you guys would like to do while you are there. Good luck choosing! :)

30/8/05 12:11 PM  
Blogger PuNk rAwK pUrL said...

I vote for S.F. That is where I am, well in the east bay. there are lots of cool lys's out here (including one that I just today got a job at!) There is tons to do here, & amazing food!
The sock looks good, skinny foot and all! :") the pattern I used, had me knit the length of my foot minus 2 inches, then start the toe decreases. I think it may vary some depending on the pattern. but what do I know.... i've only done one pair. :)

30/8/05 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man, I have zero sock advice, but about the vacation, ooo I suggest Providence in the fall, any place in New England during the fall is incredible, although San Fran is amazing as well. San Fran is VERY expensive, whereas R.I. is not so much, you can do things kinda cheap there, but SF food is VERY expensive (And I'm not a cheap person!!) I think we spent at least 50$ a night for dinner, with no liquor! CRAZY!!! Or go to Vermont. Check in to a lovely little b&b and relax and watch leaves change colors. Oh. I'm so romantic. ha.

31/8/05 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home